Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK so the new TCC tables for the G8's...

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    I've created a histogram to help me visualize how the apply pressure ramp works, but i need to understand how to adjust the values inside, there is Engine delivered torque on the Y axis, and TCC slip RPM on the X axis. i'd assume the values inside are TCC Line Pressure ?

I guess in this table, the TCC line pressure main objective is to slowly apply pressure to lock the TCC ? and like LBSblown has indicated in post# 11, he added more pressure in this table, in 10% increments, to minimize TCC rpm slip to 0-20rpm from whatever values they were originally.

Why GM tuned the torque converter to have so much slip at part throttle and WOT ?

And If we took as a goal to make tcc slip 0-20rpm, would this have to be accomplished
    for part throttle only ? or can it be applied to WOT as well ?

Here is an example of how the Histo would look like with a log i ran today, i guess i should also put a filter when tps > 20% to capture this data when the throttle is been applied ? or it won't matter ? do we even need to modify the line pressure when the slip rpm value is negative ?

the apply RAMP table seems to effect how quickly the pressure is applied but not the amount of pressure. getting more pressure is the whole problem. we need more at cruise and more at wot.

i just got back from the dyno. with the beta software i can not use the bidirection control to lock up my converter but if i use a laptop that does not have beta i can use the manual lock up. when i lock it it shows 594psi of tcc pressure. i am sure it isn't that high but it just lets it goto full line pressure.

i was able to hold lock up on the dyno at wot for many runs. on the last run we saw 635rwhp/600rwtq on a loaded mustang dyno and the lock up sliped for the first time. pretty sure it needs to see more line pressure but i am not sure what values to change for it to see more pressure.

here is my plan for now untill i get some more ideas of what to try.

get an actual pressure sensor installed into the tranny where i can log actual pressure at least at that one access point. then mess with the pressure values and see if there is any effect.

if/when i kill this tranny i want as much info as i can get to help me keep it alive longer next time.

logging actual pressure will not help this lock up issue. i think it is going to take more tables to be able to lock at wot down the track or under 70mph.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    in that pic the only time your converter tried to lock is at the very end. you can see the bump up in blue in live pressure and you can see the slip is at 0. the entire rest of the run it is slipping and there is no tcc line pressure.
    The blue line you see at the very end is there because i'm off the gas at that point. it would do that at part throttle as well in 4th,5th and 6th. nothing at WOT though, and i loaded a tune today where i was applying TCC from 3rd gear, and it did exactly the same, saw 0 line pressure, and the slip progressivelly going lower.

if there is no tcc line pressure then the computer is not trying to lock it up.

the slip will get lower based on your tq and rpm. the converter will always be more efficient in the higher rpms.

Advanced Tuner
    Well i took another log today from a 3rd to 4th run at WOT in sport mode, and the verter must be locking then because there is line pressure as soon as 4th is engaged. the slip doesn't go to 0 which was my thought when the verter was locked. i basically loaded back the stock apply/release settings. I changed them last month thinking because i've increased the mph shift point for sport mode, that i also had to bump the apply settings to match the new mph shift point at WOT.

It was never locking in 4th with those changes. now it does with the stock apply values.

Last edited by bluegoat06; 02-15-2010 at 09:46 AM.