Thread: Low Desired Airflow after RussK Idle Scan

Tuner in Training

Low Desired Airflow after RussK Idle Scan

How could these values be correct?

I used RussK's Idle Scan...here is my attachment.

I have a 370ci with a mid 220s cam on a 114lsa, under .600"lift. Have boltons, and ls6 intake, 317 heads milled .020"..

Attachment 21627

Tuner
    From my experience, things such as timing and AFR can lower it and raise it, but major factors are, and this is just the very basic explination, where the throttle blade is set or a leak around your intake. The more the blade is opened, the lower the numbers you will get. If you are within the IAC count range recommended and there is no leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Am I in the ballpark, guys?

Oops, guess I can atleast look at the file, checking it out now...
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 01-01-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Tuner
    Just looked at the file. Your IAC counts dont need to be that low. If you close your blade a bit with the set screw and re run the config, you will see higher desired air. You dont need to worry about how high or how low that number is though, to an extent.

Just make sure you have no leaks, your within the right tps voltage, and your STIT and LTIT are close to 0. But, I can't see your TPS voltage. I am using a config I made myself to log RAF, but I still should be able to see the voltage, if that was logged. I will get Russ's and see if that will show what your voltage was. I think it needs to be between .45 and .55.

.... I took a look with Russ's config and still can't see TPS voltage. But seeing how low your IAC count is, I bet your way aboive .55.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 01-01-2010 at 07:43 AM.

CarsonTech is right; your IAC count is almost in the single digit range.

I don't use voltage (may work, never tried) to set up the TB; I get the car to hot idle in closed loop and adjust for 45-65ish counts. At that point, do idle airflow logging at next cold start.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

ok That is something I have not done yet. Will check mine to see what they are.
    2003 Z06
    Forged 347
    PTE Billet 67/65 Turbos
    FMIC / Dual 50mm Tial BOV's
    ID 1000 Injectors
    RSI Stage 4 Fuel System
    07 Z06 Cam
    Tripple Nozzle Meth
    ACT Twin disk clutch

25# Boost

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ0603 View Post
    ok That is something I have not done yet. Will check mine to see what they are.
    That's for IAC cars; it doesn't apply to you (except for the idle air logging and tuning).
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    CarsonTech is right; your IAC count is almost in the single digit range.

I don't use voltage (may work, never tried) to set up the TB; I get the car to hot idle in closed loop and adjust for 45-65ish counts. At that point, do idle airflow logging at next cold start.
    Oops, my second post may have came accross wrong. I forgot to mention IAC counts in the criteria. I have edited my post to include this.

I don't use voltage to setup the TB, its just one of the things to make sure is within spec as well as other things. I do the same procedure as Frost.

Kinda of on the topic: I tested 3 stock TBs on my car a few months ago. One from a 98 and two from 99 f-bodies. Each had the stock IAC and TPS from the factory. Each TPS read a very differn't voltage when I setup each TB until my IAC had a count of 65. If I remember correctly, I found a .1 to .2 volt differnce between all of them when my IAC count was at 65 and my ECT was at 198. I performed another test to get more concrete data, setting up each of the throttle bodies tps to read at a .50 voltage showed VERY differn't IAC counts. One showed IAC counts around the mid 70s, another read down around the 50s and one read in the 40s. I thought I was going crazy.

Could it be a TPS loses accuracy as it gets older, the TB manufacturing tolerence, the TPS manufacturing tolerence, etc...? Just something I found interesting I thought I would share since we were sort of on the topic.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 01-02-2010 at 04:23 PM.