Thread: An extra 100 or so hp is nice

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

An extra 100 or so hp is nice

So yesterday after it had snowed for 1/2 the day I decide "hey its time to fix my missfire issue on the gtp" lol so the day prior I had narrowed it down to being a missfire on cyl 6 via the scanner so the easiest thing to check for me would be to switch the coil with one of the other two to see if the missfire follows the coil...this takes about 5 minutes and if it goes well its a $70 coil but a quick fix(since its like 30 or so * Fahrenheit quick is good right about now).

Of course no such luck for me as it did not follow the coil so now I'm down to the plug & wire, well seeing the #6 plug/wire are the most inaccessible on my gtp(stuffed against the firewall and the plug aimed directly at the rear o2 sensor) I figure the wire would be a good choice for the next test unfortunately I didn't have one handy so I head to the local autozone & pick up a box of wires.

Find the correct one, pop it on and go for a spirited drive to see if the issue dissappeared. Tada, gone, let me tell you it'll be nice pulling up to a hyundai & know you can beat him off the line in your supercharged gtp lol. It has been a crappy 6 or so months trying to nail this down and very difficult to find the time & energy to do it when you've got 3 kids & a job answering questions like this for 8-12 hours a day

Had to share as its just been too long

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Good deal. Glad you got it fixed!

I hate easy long fixes that take no time to do Seems like my luck at every thing. Search and search for a problem and it's right there and so easy to do. lol

2008 HHR SS 5-speed

HP-Tuned

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thing is I had scanned it prior and couldn't narrow down which cyl was missfiring but it was pissing me off enough that I finally tried it again(it won't missfire at idle only at medium & wot) so I had to figure out which cyl was causing the issue which it finally popped up leading me in the right direction

Advanced Tuner
    glad you got it fixed

it sure can get hard to accomplish anything on your car when life keps getting in the way

hopefully the autozone wires last for you , if not zzp sells stock wires for $30 odd bucks

if you ever need any coils or any other stock 3800 parts let me know - I part them out on the side along with a couple w body regals and gtp's. I have regals in my sig pic but my listed pb's are with my 99gtp
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    is there a misfire pid on the hp scanner, i dont think i ever looked??, if not this should make you want to add a current and history misfire pid to the hp scanner,, the data has to be there , the gm tech 2 can read current and stored history misfire counts per cyl data on all 96 newer gm vehicles
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its there, thats how I was able to track down which cyl it was.

Hey Bill if you want more hp i have a Gen V sitting here! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    let me tell you it'll be nice pulling up to a hyundai & know you can beat him off the line
    I keep trying to challenge loaded 18 wheelers (with trailer) to a title
    for title quarter mile run...and none of them want to take up the challenge

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
    I keep trying to challenge loaded 18 wheelers (with trailer) to a title
    for title quarter mile run...and none of them want to take up the challenge
    hehe, honestly the gtp felt like a 20 second 1/4 mile car until I figured out the issue so the hyundai probably would've taken me(my wifes old 99 hyundai accent 4dr ran a 19.00 flat in the 1/4 when she had it lol).

Of course I've been driving the piss out of this car the last couple of days including some gratuitous burnout launches to make up for the lost time lol

Advanced Tuner
    this is why you need to broadcast live bill

NICE!!!

I'm hoping to pick up my "lost" 100+ hp after my car gets back from getting a fuel system put it. Those gratuitous burn outs are a blast.
    2003 Z06
    Forged 347
    PTE Billet 67/65 Turbos
    FMIC / Dual 50mm Tial BOV's
    ID 1000 Injectors
    RSI Stage 4 Fuel System
    07 Z06 Cam
    Tripple Nozzle Meth
    ACT Twin disk clutch

25# Boost

Tuner
    A good example of always start at the basics when troubleshooting. With correct tools it helps too>