Thread: Need ideas how to tune a motor with a 1 bar MAP, and stock MAF?

Tuner

Need ideas how to tune a motor with a 1 bar MAP, and stock MAF for low boost

This is for a 3.6 LY7, however I was also looking for basic tuning advice.
    Lets assume the following, the MAF must stay stock, and the 1 BAP map cannot be changed to a higher one...

I was thinking that there should be a way to adjust maf frequency to = a set amount of fuel correct? My guess is, that is not the case and it would not work in such a fashion. With that in mind, does anyone have any ideas?

Is there any way to keep this daily driveable reliable as well assuming it can be done?

Are the limitations for running boost simply the torque based management?
    Last edited by Beau; 01-03-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Tuner
    I guess I'm just confused as to why exactly would the PCM not be able to accomodate boost on a MAF setup. I mean, shouldn't the system simply realize its at 0 VAC (based on the voltage of the map) and shouldn't I be able to tune what each MAF frequency = in terms of mass per cyl? At which point the system would fuel what it could to acommodate?

Tuner
    I guess I'll post again.

To let onlookers know, I have been searching until my eyes are wasted. :]

The major problem with this forum is that there are very few "ways to do it right"
    I'll provide a hypothetical example.

I've seen people post about their PE modifications to give the computer a heads up on things like fuel splash etc or whatever due to the fact that its possible at a low RPM below normal PE to hit parts of air flow that really should be reserved for PE.
    So someone will post what they've done, and then they don't say exactly if it works for them, thats just what they've done. Then people come in and start saying NO NO don't touch that you need to skew your maf, it's the only way to tell the computer how much air is coming in properly under boost.

Next example, someone skews their maf for fuel output. This also seems logical to me, because I don't care what the boost pressure is at (computer cant tell anyways), I would just want the computer to know that airflow at this RPM = X fuel, and sometimes if the airflow is less at the same RPM to show x fuel.

Then someone will come in and say, oh you can't do that blah blah :]
    So on and so fourth with the VE tables, all sorts of crazy things.

I'm a pretty quick learner. I have an E67 PCM in my Aura XR. Right now I'm NA, because I have no confidence that the HPT can actually tune a street-able Aura at low boost ~8psi... What I don't want to do is work twice or more over. For instance, now that I'm NA, and i should calibrate the MAF by doing all those crazy histograms with the LTFT (which btw people say DONT do and use a wide band!) and then skew the maf results to zero out my LTFT etc etc. I don't want to do that, IF I'm supposed to skew my MAF for fueling when I am under boost.

In plain English. I'd like to know proven methods for tuning an E67 for boost either using, MAF or not... Would someone with experience please help me. I'm a quick learner and I don't mind the work, but I have to at least feel confident before I start making hardware purchases.

The car is a return-less system, I know that complicates things unfortunately, but I don't need precise A/F ratios, just safe ones.

Thank you gang!
    Last edited by Beau; 01-04-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I believe I can help.
    Regards,

Brian Turner

Dyno Tune Motorsports
    Dyno Tuning and Remote Tuning For Ford - GM - Chrysler Vehicles

Click Here For Dyno Tune Motorsports

1988 Ford Mustang GT INCON Systems TT
    331 Cubic Inches - Corn - 808 RWHP 918 RWTQ

so you cant just adjust the injector pulse mulitpler after a road test to even marginally compensate a bit? ......
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 01-07-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Tuner
    ^ Slow down, actually you were just finishing up a bowl of cocoa puffs, while the wife was asking you to go pay attention to her, so frustration level was rising, but in the same vein you were being helpful so felt good about my potential response.
    AND, your index toes are larger than your big toe... I got all that from your text. ;]

Outside of that, yep I agree with everything you said, I do understand many of those things, I was looking more for some help on how to overcome the limitations of ecu, but.

THANKS GUYS! :]

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCool View Post
    so you cant just adjust the injector pulse mulitpler after a road test to even marginally compensate a bit? ......
    I wouldn't think so, but I'm unsure.

Tuner in Training
    Beau,
    Why must the MAP stay 1 bar? You don't want to upgrade to the 2 bar OS? It's not available for your OS? You can't find the correct 2 bar map?
    Once and for all: The correct part number for the new style 2bar map sensor is....
    wait for it..

09350899 = 12580698 or 12615136
    -Adam Chant SCdyne Performance "Tune it or lose it!"

Tuner
    E67 does not have the map upgrade option.