Thread: Read Entire give no comm message

Tuner in Training

Read Entire give no comm message

I can connect w/ scanner and read information and save logs, but when I go to editor and try to read the VCM I get the attached screen shot. I check pin 16 on obd port and get batt voltage. Why can't I read VCM? Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Down View Post
    I have found that if I plug my laptop into the outlet or a converter it will cause this error, cheap laptop.
    Laptop is a dell inspirion 1100 running xp. Is there any fix besides getting new laptop?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    First answer some basic questions
    1. what year/make/model vehicle?
    2. are both MPVI A & MPVI B drivers installed? Both must be installed to work properly.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I have found that if I plug my laptop into the outlet or a converter it will cause this error, cheap laptop.
    you shouldnt have your interface plugged into your laptop at the same time as its plugged into another power source such as an invertor , laptop 12v power supply , wall outlet , etc.. you can fry it, " laptop battery power only when using interface".

spelled out plainly on the paper insert labeled "caution" that was in the box with my latest interface returned from repairs - battery only for me now

apparently there is a voltage offset issue when your laptop is drawing power from any outside source while your interface is drawing power from the obd port
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    if you unplug the charger does it work ok?
    Well, I read the sticky bout using outside power source, but I thought that it was referring to car charger adaptors for the laptop. I did not realize that it was for wall outlets too. I unplugged the laptop and it connected and read the vcm fine (took 10.5 minutes). Thanks for the help, (and the jokes too).