Thread: A6 Apply/Release Speed

Advanced Tuner

A6 Apply/Release Speed

I've raised the normal/full throttle speed values for the 3-4 shift and i didn't touch the apply/release speed for the same gear in the auto TCC tab.

Stock

Modified

Should i make the apply table match the speed for the same cells i've changed? what could be happening now ? that the TC is unlocking at 98mph instead of 100 mph ?

If i should match the tables, i guess i'll have to do it from 87 TPS cells to the 100 TPS cell for that gear?, sorry but i'm not familiar with the operation of the TC and that's why i didn't touch it.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-22-2010 at 04:26 PM.

not sure how the programing is but it could freak with you asking it to lock in 4th before you shift into 4th or it might not care
    i would bump it up to be on the safe side.
    06 GTO M6: flowmaster 40 mufflers, x pipe, resonator removed, K&N cold air kit - sold
    08 G8 GT: flowmaster 50SUV mufflers, x pipe, resonators removed, ever changing tune, CAI sometime soon.

Advanced Tuner
    k, I've bumped the values now just in case.

Why would the factory apply the TC in 4th gear, up at the max speed the trans would hold 3rd gear so when you shift into 4th the TC won't be locked ?

What's the purpose of locking 4th until only 100mph for example when 4th gear can go lets say 130-140mph ?

Why not lock 3rd and 4th, wouldn't that be good for the 1/4 mile track ?

Advanced Tuner
    I guess when the converter is locked, the tcc slip rpm goes to +-0.xx rpm, if the apply is set only to 4th gear according to the apply/release table, why the tcc slip rpm goes to 0 rpm while in 6th gear ? i've noticed when in DOD at at 70mph the tcc slip is around 50rpm, but if i disable DOD and cruise at the same speed/same gear, the tcc slip would go to 0 ?

dont forget to match up the full throttle table.
    tcc will lock above speed in the apply row and unlock when speed drops below the release row.
    to give more explanation using your tabs. 1,2,3 gears will lock the tcc when you go over 318 and unlock when you drop below 314. not going to happen, so no lock in 1-3. 4th gear 50% throttle will lock when you go over 77 and unlock when you drop below 58. 4th gear and 25% throttle will lock when you go over 47 and unlock when you drop below 35.
    5th and 6th gear have their own tables. this is why they dont show in the table you had up.
    if i understand right the tcc in this trans is not truly a lock/unlock but uses pwm giving various amounts of slip. this could be why you get more slip under dod, 50rpm is not fully unlocked. this is where the apply ramp comes in; somebody else will have to help with this since i dont fully understand this table.

hope this answers your questions, if not ask further and i will help if i can.
    06 GTO M6: flowmaster 40 mufflers, x pipe, resonator removed, K&N cold air kit - sold
    08 G8 GT: flowmaster 50SUV mufflers, x pipe, resonators removed, ever changing tune, CAI sometime soon.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by informationjunkie View Post
    dont forget to match up the full throttle table.
    tcc will lock above speed in the apply row and unlock when speed drops below the release row.
    to give more explanation using your tabs. 1,2,3 gears will lock the tcc when you go over 318 and unlock when you drop below 314. not going to happen, so no lock in 1-3. 4th gear 50% throttle will lock when you go over 77 and unlock when you drop below 58. 4th gear and 25% throttle will lock when you go over 47 and unlock when you drop below 35.
    5th and 6th gear have their own tables. this is why they dont show in the table you had up.
    if i understand right the tcc in this trans is not truly a lock/unlock but uses pwm giving various amounts of slip. this could be why you get more slip under dod, 50rpm is not fully unlocked. this is where the apply ramp comes in; somebody else will have to help with this since i dont fully understand this table.

hope this answers your questions, if not ask further and i will help if i can.
    Thanks a lot man, the apply/release started making sense now
    Also, i've seen the pwm term, but i have no idea what it is ?
    and lastly, would it be ok to lock in 3rd gear ? or an aftermarket torque converter is needed ?
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Thanks a lot man, the apply/release started making sense now
    Also, i've seen the pwm term, but i have no idea what it is ?
    and lastly, would it be ok to lock in 3rd gear ? or an aftermarket torque converter is needed ?
    pwm is pulse width modulation. it allows you to go from a on/off type switch to running at a %.
    i know some have set it so that it will not apply at wot in 4th. some have used it to drop the rpms a little bit in the 1/4 so they dont have to shift right before they finish. i think it would handle being applied in 3rd but i dont know this for sure.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks again man, i'll open a new thread to see if anybody have locked 3rd at wot with the stock verter.

Advanced Tuner
    To determine if the tcc is locking do you always look at tcc slip =< 0% or there is something else??. I did a test today going WOT from 3rd gear, and letting the trans shift into 4th past the point where the the verter should've locked while in sport mode, and i didn't see the tcc slip going to 0, it locked when i lifted assuming the tcc slip rpm is the parameter i should look at, cause it went into negative values, what gives ??

Here is a log, alone with my config file.

Advanced Tuner
    anybody ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    To determine if the tcc is locking do you always look at tcc slip =< 0% or there is something else??...
    I found your other thread first and posted a theory about this there. Since you specifically ask here, I'll dump it here, too. Hope that's not bad forum etiquette.
    .................................................. ......................................

I've been logging "TCC Line Pressure". I think it can be used to determine when the converter is locked. I've taken any non-zero number here to mean the TCM is locking the converter. I tried a histogram of TCC Line Pressure vs. Current gear. There are pressure values in 4th, 5th and 6th.

There is also "TCC PWM Duty Cycle" which I figured would also show lockup but I've never seen it show anything but 0%. So I'm not sure what that really is.
    2009 G8 GT

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks again Socal, I'll look into the TCC line pressure PID, and also log TCC PWM duty.