Thread: 2000 chevrolet z71 torque converter issues

Tuner in Training

2000 chevrolet z71 torque converter issues

Hey the truck will lock up in 3rd then all of a sudden unlock and go into 4th then lock back up. I have tried to change the speed of lock and unlock as well as 2-3 3-4 shifts speeds. The problem on occurs when the vehichle is about 10%-35% THROTTLE such as you are driving the automobile around town and stuff. Also look over the rest of the tune I am waiting on my wide band to come in the mail now and ill be able to get more info Thank much

Tuner in Training
    truck also has a vig 3200 with headers and exhaust. here is the tune thanks

Tuner in Training
    someone please this issue is aggravating

Quote Originally Posted by transam_151 View Post
    someone please this issue is aggravating
    Yes it is annoying. I haven't looked at your tune from this computer but, copy your 3-4 shift speeds (mph) to your 3rd Apply TCC row and then add a couple of mph. What this does is that your tranny will still lock if pulled back into 3rd but for regular driving the process will be 1-2-3-4- lock up as opposed to 1-2-3-lock-unlock-4-lock.

This works well for me, the reason you have the issue is the PCM forces the TCC to unlock for changes (which is a good thing IMO), how often will you be driving at a speed/TPS that requires you to stay in 3rd anyways and if you do the advantage of the lockup would be negligle, I personally don't see any need to lock-up the TCC in any but 4th for the vast majority of applications, there are always exceptions but IMO better off removing the annoyance and playing with shift speeds so that you spend more time in 4th at light throttle IMO.

Hope that helps

Tuner in Training
    you will have to look at the tune from what your saying i have already done. CHeck it out and thanks so much for you time and effort

Quote Originally Posted by transam_151 View Post
    you will have to look at the tune from what your saying i have already done. CHeck it out and thanks so much for you time and effort
    Not unless you have done something since the tune is uploaded. I may not have been particularly clear in my description because I was in a hurry, sorry about that. Using your current tune (I use metric but I'll assume you use imperial, either way it doens't matter but to keep things simple I'll quote mph)

Ignore the Performance (Tow/Haul) for now, you said between 10-35% TPS so let's pick 25% TPS as an example in Normal shifting. Your vehicle will shift from 3-4 at 43mph at 25% TPS however your 3rd Apply TCC for that TPS is 40mph so that means as you accelerate at 25% TPS you will go 1-2-3-lock @40mph-unlock (for change)-4 then lock again at 46.

What you need to do is copy and paste the 3-4 shift row and paste it into the 3rd apply and add a couple of mph which your uploaded tune does not indicate that this has been done

This will mean that your car will lockup in 3rd if you hold it in third but it will not lock-up if you leave it in 'D' in third, it will always change to 4th before locking in 3rd. You can get usually get away with locking in 3rd then unlock for change with a std stall if you really wanted to, however with a stall and some apps, it is as you put it, annoying and besides I see no real point in doing so.

Hope that was a little clearer

Tuner in Training
    hell yes awesome i will deff do the corrections tommorrow! i see now learning little by little thanks so much if you need something you just lemme know thanks a million again