Thread: 35 mph Dead Spot

35 mph Dead Spot

Hi all. I have a 3800 firebird and I'm trying to tune out a dead spot where it won't down shift at around 35 mph or so. I think the upshifts are (obviously) for when the car is accelerating and the down shift are for when the car is slowing down and as reference for changes in throttle position. For example, if you're crusing at ~30 mph and the TPS goes from from 10% throttle to 70%, the PCM checks the 3->2 downshift cell at that throttle position and if the speed for that cell is higher than 30mph, you won't downshift. Am I understanding the shift tables correctly?

I'm planning on going for a scan soon so I can record the behavior of the trans. In the mean time, can anyone help me out?

Advanced Tuner
    i dont know about 3800 f body but on a stock geared 3800 w body going wot at 35 i would be expecting a 2>1 downshift , 3>2 would be a highway speed downshift
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

The 4t65 might be geared differently than its longitudinal RWD cousin, but scans I've done in the past indicate that 25-35 mph + 10% TPS = 3rd gear. When you increase throttle from cruising and it doesn't downshift, it feels like a bog. Thats what I'm trying to eliminate.