Thread: Can you change the number of teeth the computer expects to see

Tuner in Training

Can you change the number of teeth the computer expects to see

I think I have a beginner understanding of the factory computers so I need an advanced answer. I have an 8.1l motor which has a wasteland to shop for parts. I would like to convert to a 502 or 454 stroked to 496 and run it off of the factory computer so it can be inspected and legal to run on the street. The stumbling block is the crank reluctor ring. It is easy to bolt on a 4 or 8 flying magnet pickup on the 502 but I don't know of a 58 tooth wheel like I believe is on the 8.1L.

So here is the question. Can HP tuners change the tooth count the computer expects to see? If it cannot be done in the software is it something that Bill can get done behind the scenes and custom just for my application?

Hopefully this question makes sence to someone.

Senior Tuner
    no.

Tuner in Training
    I wrote that whole explaination for "NO"

I feel like the last guy in the bar after talking up the only girl for 3 hrs.

Senior Tuner
    Everything in the software is based off of 58x signal. It was changed from 24x for greater resolution and better control for emissions. So, it cannot be simply be changed to another tooth count. So, no, you can not. Without finding a way to mount the 58x reluctor to the 454 based engines, the info I shared with you before is the only way I can see to make it work. The 454lsx is on sale until June, be way easiar to adapt and makes 620hp.

Tuner in Training
    Do you have cad or know someone who has a cad program? IF so you could have a relutor wheel made with the same dimensions of the factory 8.1L that would mount on the balancer. Just have to fabricate a mount for the sensor. You will also need to overcome several other sensor needs but this will work for the crank sensor.

Potential Tuner
    Check out EFI Connections website. He is soon going to have 24X and 58X support for big blocks!!!! Will be able to use the coil on plug and an LS1 PCM on your big block!!!

Mike