Thread: 6l80e, What can cause a delay in the shift point at WOT?

Advanced Tuner

6l80e, What can cause a delay in the shift point at WOT?

This is not an issue where the trans is short shifting, or shifting late in the rpm, i can change the shift points around and the trans will follow, but the issue shows up as if the WOT rpm was kind of like a rev limiter for my 3-4 wot shift only. ex:, the car accelerates fine up to 6200rpm, then i can see in the logs how the rpm would stop climbing, (at this point, the car feels like if it was rev limited controlled), because the rpm would hang around 6200rpm, then the shift would be made. this is with part throttle shift mph and WOT shift mph matching, both set at 102mph, WOT rpm set at 6200. i can see the issue in the log when in the street, at the track, for some reason, it becomes worse where the car won't accelerate at all past 6200rpm for example, the rpm needle would stay at around 6200rpm for like half sec (that long) before the shift would complete.

I can lower the mph to 99, and adjust the wot rpm to 5900, and the 3-4 shift would actually go lower without any problems, but the shift would do exactly the same thing, engine rpm would hang around 5900rpm for a split of a sec, then the shift would complete.

WOT24_run3.hpl shows a track run, at frame 2600, the rpm is hitting 6200, then observe how long it takes for the 3-4 shift to complete

WOT_27.hpl shows 3-4 shift at around 6200rpm (Street)
    WOT_27_50.hpl shows the 3-4 shift shift at around 5900rpm (Street)

I've also attached the tune, (this one 3-4 shift is set at 102mph, 6250rpm), the only difference with one that would shift at 5900rpm would be set both part trottle and woth mph to 99mph, WOT RPM to 5900rpm.

Senior Tuner
    I think what you are feeling is normal torque management in play. Timing is being pulled at each shift. Disable your upshift TM and see if it does the same thing.