Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: high hp A6 pressures?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    thats not correct.

the circle D converter i have is rated to be locked up at some crazy hp. like 1000hp capable. i know the car would be quicker locking the converter and that is why i got the lock up that can take the abuse. the increased stall speed is not the issue, it is the clutch design. aftermarket or at least the multi disk after market are not designed to "slip" like the factory clutch. after market wants to be either on or off.

the factory computer is letting the pressure off till it sees some slip. it wants to see slip. that is why the converter locks and unlocks while rolling down the highway. there is a preset amount of slip that it targets.
    Too bad you can't adjust the preset.

Advanced Tuner
    i have those set at 8000+rpm so they shoudn't be doing anything.
    Have you tried the other end of the spectrum and set it to 0?

Advanced Tuner
    Should anyone modify the PWM or ECCC strategy to function as an ON/OFF apply while using a converter with a damper plate designed for PWM or ECCC, a tail end bump on the apply of the clutch would be felt, possibly resulting in a customer complaint. Only under high torque or high vehicle speeds will the PCM command the converter clutch to be fully locked. Otherwise, it always slips. A first design or second design clutch lining will not survive in the third design strategy. The woven carbon fiber or equivalent must be used in all EC^sup 3^ applications

From GM...It looks like the clutch material in the aftermarket verter is the culprit like you stated. Why don't they just build a converter with the necessary clutch material? Wonder if there is a way to trick the TCM in how much estimated torque is being delivered. I notice from my logs I don't achieve zero slip until in 4th.
    Last edited by Waker; 03-17-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Really surprised no one has developed a part for the valve body that eliminates PWM like they did for the 4L60.

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Should anyone modify the PWM or ECCC strategy to function as an ON/OFF apply while using a converter with a damper plate designed for PWM or ECCC, a tail end bump on the apply of the clutch would be felt, possibly resulting in a customer complaint. Only under high torque or high vehicle speeds will the PCM command the converter clutch to be fully locked. Otherwise, it always slips. A first design or second design clutch lining will not survive in the third design strategy. The woven carbon fiber or equivalent must be used in all EC^sup 3^ applications

From GM...It looks like the clutch material in the aftermarket verter is the culprit like you stated. Why don't they just build a converter with the necessary clutch material? Wonder if there is a way to trick the TCM in how much estimated torque is being delivered. I notice from my logs I don't achieve zero slip until in 4th.
    there are places that make a single disk that can be sliped like that and from what i am told work fine down the highway but you cant lock them up at wot. they wont hold the power.

with control over the right tables we would be fine with this converter.

for what it is worth control over the lock up tables isn't our only problem. i can force my converter to lock using the scan tool. it locks solid. when i go wot it ends up slipping at the top of 3rd and probably the top of 4th too. the actual line pressure ends up being under 80psi and from what i can tell there are no tables to bump that up either. this is with ~600rwtq so it wouldn't be an issue for everyone.
    2017 camaro ss a8 with low mount twins

Really surprised no one has developed a part for the valve body that eliminates PWM like they did for the 4L60.
    the tranny is pretty new. not many parts out there for it yet. since they are putting it in lots of cars/trucks i am sure there will be a work around for it eventualy.

Advanced Tuner
    Good to talk with someone who is further along than myself. Appreciate the info

Advanced Tuner
    the tranny is pretty new. not many parts out there for it yet. since they are putting it in lots of cars/trucks i am sure there will be a work around for it eventualy.
    Have you seen a table that lets you set min and max TCC slip RPM?

Have you seen a table that lets you set min and max TCC slip RPM?
    no

Advanced Tuner
    I just purchased HPT so within the next few days I'll be trying my luck with this thing. I had the tranny tuned already and have ran really good times with TM off. However my goal is to have it just as fast with TM.

I just purchased HPT so within the next few days I'll be trying my luck with this thing. I had the tranny tuned already and have ran really good times with TM off. However my goal is to have it just as fast with TM.
    i have hear people say leave it off till you are into the 450+hp/tq range. above that you have to run it to get it to shift. i dont know what all of yoru mods are but i would leave it off if you can.

does your car shift good at part throttle without kicking you on every shift? you can fine tune that part with the adder/modifier table. before i just tried on or off for tm and it made th part throttle shifts too harsh with it off and fall on it's face with it on. that table lets you get it in the middle.

Advanced Tuner
    i have hear people say leave it off till you are into the 450+hp/tq range. above that you have to run it to get it to shift. i don't know what all of your mods are but i would leave it off if you can.

does your car shift good at part throttle without kicking you on every shift? you can fine tune that part with the adder/modifier table. before i just tried on or off for TM and it made th part throttle shifts too harsh with it off and fall on it's face with it on. that table lets you get it in the middle.
    Definitely too harsh at part throttle. Thats the main reason I bought HPT, and to get more control of the TCC lol. My WOT shifts are nice as long as I'm running 275psi. The only lull in the shift is when the TCC is re-locking after shift completion. I have a Vararam, ARH/Cats, 2.5/3" exhaust, Flowmaster Super 40's, DR's and of course a tune. Car ran a 12.4 @ 113 2K DA and shitty traction a few weeks ago. Corrected was a 12.1 @ 115. 4.10's are going in next weeks some time and I guess I have to wait on a verter till someone gets it figured out.

Can you turn TM off and still mess with the adders/multipliers? I have been reading all the help sections to prepare me for tuning, that is where I got the TCC rpm adjustment theory. Maybe it is a trouble shooting value only. If HP could add/manipulate that boy would it make allot of people happy.

i didn't know any of this a few weeks ago. you leave all of the master enablers on. leave all of the tm factors at the stock setting of 1. then do all of your adjusments in the adder/modifier table. the axis are rpm and tq. a value of 0 keeps full tm and a value of -1 is no tm. you can vary between 0 and -1.

for starters it sounds like you need to turn upshift tm back on. then adjust that table so you see 0 or close to 0 in the part throttle shift areas and -1 or close to -1 in the wot parts of the table. you can adjust from there. you might want to kill some of the tm at part throttle so start at 0 but then try -.2 and see if you like that better, then try -.4, you will find a part throttle shift that you like.

Definitely too harsh at part throttle. Thats the main reason I bought HPT, and to get more control of the TCC lol. My WOT shifts are nice as long as I'm running 275psi. The only lull in the shift is when the TCC is re-locking after shift completion. I have a Vararam, ARH/Cats, 2.5/3" exhaust, Flowmaster Super 40's, DR's and of course a tune. Car ran a 12.4 @ 113 2K DA and shitty traction a few weeks ago. Corrected was a 12.1 @ 115. 4.10's are going in next weeks some time and I guess I have to wait on a verter till someone gets it figured out.

Can you turn TM off and still mess with the adders/multipliers? I have been reading all the help sections to prepare me for tuning, that is where I got the TCC rpm adjustment theory. Maybe it is a trouble shooting value only. If HP could add/manipulate that boy would it make allot of people happy.
    i see you mention 275psi. i am logging actual line pressure with a pressure sensor permanantly mounted to the tranny and loged with hptuners. i can say 100% for sure that adjusting the pressure values and tables has no effect on the main line pressure. i have gone from stock to double with all of those values and saw no effect at all. right now my values are stock and i am hitting it with 600hp/tq.

i can report seeing some odd pressures. 300-350psi at very light throttle 1st and 2nd gear. that seems very high. then as low as 80psi at wot/high rpms and that seems too low to me.

Advanced Tuner
    i didn't know any of this a few weeks ago. you leave all of the master enablers on. leave all of the tm factors at the stock setting of 1. then do all of your adjusments in the adder/modifier table. the axis are rpm and tq. a value of 0 keeps full tm and a value of -1 is no tm. you can vary between 0 and -1.

for starters it sounds like you need to turn upshift tm back on. then adjust that table so you see 0 or close to 0 in the part throttle shift areas and -1 or close to -1 in the wot parts of the table. you can adjust from there. you might want to kill some of the tm at part throttle so start at 0 but then try -.2 and see if you like that better, then try -.4, you will find a part throttle shift that you like.
    Can you post a screen shot of that table? A saw a tune where the guy adjusted the cold multiplier to get 25% torque management and bumped up the pressure. Everyone seemed to like it. But what your saying is you can have TM at part throttle and no TM at WOT correct

Advanced Tuner
    i see you mention 275psi. i am logging actual line pressure with a pressure sensor permanantly mounted to the tranny and loged with hptuners. i can say 100% for sure that adjusting the pressure values and tables has no effect on the main line pressure. i have gone from stock to double with all of those values and saw no effect at all. right now my values are stock and i am hitting it with 600hp/tq.

i can report seeing some odd pressures. 300-350psi at very light throttle 1st and 2nd gear. that seems very high. then as low as 80psi at wot/high rpms and that seems too low to me.
    I could definitely feel the diference each time he bumped up the pressure. He is using is own operating system and maybe thats why. Very odd you only see 80 psi at WOT. Is that for every gear?

I could definitely feel the diference each time he bumped up the pressure. He is using is own operating system and maybe thats why. Very odd you only see 80 psi at WOT. Is that for every gear?
    i can say top of 3rd and 4th see less than 100psi. i will post up a pic of my last 1/4 mile run.

i will also post up a pix of my addermodifier table and latest tune. i have mine set up diferent than what i just sugested you try. i need tm at wot to get thru the shifts and with a lose converter i want very little tm down low.

i am guessing whoever did your tune was making other changes at the same time and that is what you were feeling.

Advanced Tuner
    i can say top of 3rd and 4th see less than 100psi. i will post up a pic of my last 1/4 mile run.

i will also post up a pix of my addermodifier table and latest tune. i have mine set up diferent than what i just sugested you try. i need tm at wot to get thru the shifts and with a lose converter i want very little tm down low.
    Thanks...Is the car shifting nice and hard for you now?

Advanced Tuner
    i am guessing whoever did your tune was making other changes at the same time and that is what you were feeling.
    Honestly all I had him do was turn up the pressure and scale it in to be max at 4K. He is really good at only doing what I ask. Now I wish I had a pressure gauge.