Thread: VZ Commodore with VE Omega Tune

VZ Commodore with VE Omega Tune

Got a 2006 VZ Commodores, been tuning a while...... and while i'm coming towards the end of my tuning.... I've been doing some rough calculations and tests. I would love opinions.

I've discovered running a 2008 VE Omega Tune on my VZ Commodore would produce roughly 7kw overall power per tonne over a VE Omega and roughly 3.6kw diff over my current tune.... due to the output to weight differences (omega 120kg heavier)

See my tables below:

VE Omega (180kw at 6000rpm, 330nm torque at 2400-2600pm, 1690kg kerb weight)
    bhp per tonne 144.29
    Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.65

06 VZ Executive -mine- (172kw at 6000rpm, 320nm torque at 2800rpm, 1592kg kerb weight)
    Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 148.07
    Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.49

*with ve tune*
    Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 153.17
    Quarter Mile (Secs) : 15.27

Produced calcs by > http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

So i've done some runs with a mixed VE Tune.... and found it responsive, lighter and quicker off the lights........ very good pickup when planting it anywhere ........ vz tune seems to take longer, is a little less tuned up etc.

There is less torque but the cams are tighter....... show it should equal out.

-=----

Anyway the only problem i've forseen with it is this. The VE does not have MAF or VE Tables....... it has a MAP table and no VE Table.

So using my VZ Maf tables....... it seems ok, but the VE Table obviously cause i have no idea where it should be throws out fueling.

Thoughts? Thoughts on working out the VE? I've attached both tunes.

VE Omega generally dyno's around 136kw atw
    VZ Executives generally dyno around 125kw's atw.

Dyno's generally mean very little but technology (later) and weight/power ratio's speak real world gains and driving it u feel the difference.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 03-22-2010 at 06:59 AM.

got any scanner datalogs?
    Beached as bro!

not as of yet no.... not recent untouched ones where i haven't fiddled with the tune. I'm gunna run a stock up of the ve and try and workout the ve table so it'll fuel properly on a vz. after i get it fairly level i'll have to post it up.

on the vz's you can bring up the cam timing at the start of the rev range 1000-2400rpm to give it a lighter feel on take off but it's too hard.

i think going with the ve makes more sense, it's 2-3 years later tuning precision. so the air/torque tables etc are more level, same with warm up cams.

Arg.... the pains of this stupid task i'd love to accomplish. I have no scans because i got annoyed and just closed them all after my 10 runs of getting nowhere tonight.

Here's the long version short. The VE Tune build for the VZ.....

The fuel trims are far and few, it runs rich sometimes, lean most........ wot seems fully unresponsive.... not richenening up.

I get the feeling it's solely to do with one of three things.

A. MAF needs to be completely redone as the VE uses MAP. (noticed constant fluctuations up/down hils costing etc..... led me to beleive solely maf).
    B. VE .... no idea how to tune it..... tried up and down etc, diff ways. made a tiny bit of difference but no go.
    C. When I build this VE tune, i've left my custom gearbox setup and idle stuff of the VZ in place to keep with the fact the VZ's have weaker alternators etc.

Perhaps my idle, gearbox settings are throwing it out. I do not know.

Anyway i've attached my built tune i've tried running..... thoughts would be good.

I have solved my problem with the VE tune i've made for the VZ.

The problem is the MAF Reversion tables, I copied the VE's which are MAP Adjustments.

Power to Ratio ....... increased. The VE tune is definately better on the VZ. Responsive, fuel efficent, takes off faster then u plant it.

I'm going to smooth it out and then move onto a few more idea's i've already done test runs with.....

----

Now thats "Cool"

I have decided to scrap the VE Omega tune conversion. I managed to get it right and level it out etc.....

Problem is due to the cam settings, the engine oil runs too hot. I averaged engine oil at around 100 to 105 degree's while coolant was like 6 degree's lower alot of times.

The VZ Setup runs engine oil around 94-96 on mine, coolant around 98ish....