Thread: Torque Management settings....DO NOT TOUCH!!

Torque Management settings....DO NOT TOUCH!!

Ok guys...I've had a few tunes on these computers (LBZs) and as more torque management settings have been added I've been taking it out. However, there are 2 tables that you do not want to touch at 0% TM otherwise your engine will start reving to the moon at idle. Both are under the Engine Torque tab in TM and they are Driver's Demand and Drivers 4wd Low....do not touch the 0% TPS column. Your engine will start to rev and will try to make the torque....just a friendly hint on what not to do. Also, progress the TM up the TPS....you may add some torque at 10% in the Driver's demand table but don't go over 150 more ft lbs over stock otherwise the pedal becomes to sensitive in my opinion for light throttle.

Hope this helps for some!

Adjusting TM tables can be detrimental to the transmission unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, it can tie up shifts and burn clutches even at low power levels. They are tables that should only be touched if you really know what exactly you are adjusting.
    03 2500hd HPT, PPE, MBRP, K&N, SD
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com

Quote Originally Posted by 03 D-max View Post
    Adjusting TM tables can be detrimental to the transmission unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, it can tie up shifts and burn clutches even at low power levels. They are tables that should only be touched if you really know what exactly you are adjusting.
    Yep...only an advisement at what not to do because some will.

Quote Originally Posted by gofish7 View Post
    Yep...only an advisement at what not to do because some will.
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com

thankyou for this advice very usefull to me because im about to embark on the tuning adventure of the lbz here before to long andy other suggestions would be appricieated thankyou

ps are these tables only availible on the lbz or others as well i have never noticed them on the lb7 jw
    03 DIRTYMAX HP TUNERS TUNED BY YOURS TRUELY 470RWHP & 855RWTQ CAI S368 TURBO W/4"DOWNPIPE 5" STRAIGHT TURBO BACK EXHAUST AIRDOGG 100 LIFT PUMP J&J AUTOMOTIVE&DIESEL PERFORMANCE STAGE 6 ALLISON CRANKED UP TORTION BARS W/305/55/20'S WRAPPED AROUND 20' BMF NOVAKAINE'S 7" IN DASH DVD&NAV 10" RockFord Fosgate P1 SUB AND KICKER DS 650 DOOR SPEAKERS new dyno numbers on the way!

I usually start by raising timing up 2* in the Main spark tables over stock, add 10% of fueling from 60mm and up, and then add a pound of boost from 60mm and up to start things and then just adjust things slowly until I get what I want from it, etc esp. on a stock transmission.

Tuner in Training

Torque Management

For starters the title is miss leading. These are NOT the secret tables to instantly add more torque. They should be called "Shift Point De-fuel" tables. Their sole purpose is to provide less fuel to the engine during the shifts.

I wouldn't necessarily say "don't touch" because for those who want to build an economy tune it can be more "detrimental" by not touching them. Using my example, I'm at high altitude, so I could remove some quantity and pulse width without adding boost and still have it perform well. In doing so, the engine was revving during the shifts because now the negative differential between the main fueling table and Torque Management Table wasn't what is was supposed to be. The key is to keep the difference the same. I imagine when raising the fueling tables by less than 20% the stock de-fuel is unnoticeable. If it does, it will show up as a lag or delay in the way the shift feels. Someone drag racing might want a less noticeable de-fuel to keep torque up, especially if they have a built trans with torque converter.

What I have done, is cut, paste, and adjust the upper bounds above 3000 RPM, then reduce the entire table by a certain percentage. I'll test drive it to verify the slippage during the shift.

Basically, I wouldn't try to smooth these files because each column of torque vs. fuel quantity is meant raise and lower as the RPM increases. I've tried it, it doesn't work for each shift, or under all torque requirements. In other words, it's too difficult to get each and every shift just right if you try to create a custom table.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

If you read my post...I'm very specific at what not to touch...do not touch the 0% tps table...leave it stock...at 10%, you may add some ft lbs but I wouldn't go over more than 150 ft lbs than stock because the pedal becomes to sensitive.

If you do touch the 0%, then your engine will rev freely.

I agree that the tables are mis-labelled but it is what it is. Should probably be labelled ETC TM.
    Last edited by gofish7; 03-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Tuner in Training

Torque Management

I believe you were speaking of an LBZ. I haven't worked with one of those yet, only my LLY. I gather that the tables are set up differently. I didn't mean to sound contradictory. I felt I had to add something to help the guy, like me, who might reduce the amount of fuel. In my table, it's fuel quantity vs torque vs RPM. The fuel quantity is the variable that can be edited. I understand what you're saying, "when working on an LBZ don't touch the torque management tables". Got it. Another lesson learned about talking about like items, apples for apples. Thank you for sharing.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

Quote Originally Posted by gofish7 View Post
    I usually start by raising timing up 2* in the Main spark tables over stock, add 10% of fueling from 60mm and up, and then add a pound of boost from 60mm and up to start things and then just adjust things slowly until I get what I want from it, etc esp. on a stock transmission.
    Main spark tables? Diesels dont have spark plugs buddy its injector timing that you are adjusting not ignition timing
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com

Quote Originally Posted by 03 D-max View Post
    Main spark tables? Diesels dont have spark plugs buddy its injector timing that you are adjusting not ignition timing
    HAHA...you are correct....so used to typing spark....yes...diesels have glow plugs...

HAHA! Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.