Thread: Help with Boss' F-150

Unhappy Help with Boss' F-150

My boss has been complaining about a shuddering/surging issue when he reaches a certain speed while going up a slight hill in his 05 F-150. It's incredibly repeatable and we were able to do it a few times today while I was logging.

However, I was unable to tell what was going on with his truck. I figured it was TCC related, so I logged when it locks up. I'm more of a Gen III GM guy, but I've never seen timing jump around like this.

Check out frames 870-896 and 1340-1375. The timing goes ape shit all while the TCC is locked. I also noticed that the TPS is going crazy here too. I confirmed with him to hold the throttle steady, and he was, but it still looks fuzzy.

No codes whatsoever. Bad TPS, coil pack, TCC solenoid or ???
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

I'm not sure if the MAF's been cleaned or not. It's a dealer maintained/ext. warranty truck. I would think if it's the MAF that it would be doing it during other conditions than only at 42-43mph when the TCC locks up. The MAF readings seem steady, but timing and TPS are jittery.

HA! I was just looking over the log again, and I noticed that the B2S1 O2 sensor is averaging 100-200mV the entire time! I think that's the issue that needs to be addressed first.

Try logging knock retard and load to get a little better picture. There is false air getting in or something your at 10-11% add on LTFT.

I logged KR and didn't see any. So are you saying that because the LTFT's are at +10% its trying to add fuel? Wouldn't the STFT's be off too? That leads me to believe that the issue is only in closed loop, however we went for a ride to day and it shuddered from a dead stop.

Sorry for bringing up a ~1 yr old thread, but iIt's worth mentioning for anyone else experiencing this, that Fords have a problem with torque converter clutch shudder. We (autoparts store) sell a product called Dr. Tranny Shudder Stop, its made specifically for Fords. It's in a red tube with white letters, usually about 5$, if i recall.