Thread: Ls2 Swap

Ls2 Swap

I am putting an LS2 into and older vehicle to use as a track car. The engine is out of a 2009 Commodore.I am concerned about the drive by wire. Can I use a cable driven throttle body and still use the LS2 original ECU and harness. Is this something that can be programmed??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by speedrat View Post
    I am putting an LS2 into and older vehicle to use as a track car. The engine is out of a 2009 Commodore.I am concerned about the drive by wire. Can I use a cable driven throttle body and still use the LS2 original ECU and harness. Is this something that can be programmed??
    Whats your concern with the DBW? FYI the ECM must be used with DBW or it wont work and to move to a PCM like an LS1 unit with cable TB the main PCM connectors would need replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Whats your concern with the DBW? FYI the ECM must be used with DBW or it wont work and to move to a PCM like an LS1 unit with cable TB the main PCM connectors would need replacing.
    I dont like DBW. For reliability reasons I was hoping to remove the DBW and use a cable throttle body and still use the LS2 ECM. Will that work?

Tuner in Training
    you would have to rig something up for tps. get a vt-x-y loom and pcm. converter box for the different crank trigger and you are away

I dont like DBW. For reliability reasons I was hoping to remove the DBW and use a cable throttle body and still use the LS2 ECM. Will that work?
    As far as I am aware the E40 nor the E38 will run a conventional cable throttle body set up effectively because there is no provision to run the IAC so unless you could somehow control idle and start up speed with fuel and spark (a la choke of sorts) and suffer the compromise when hot then I don't think it can be done.

As mentioned above if you REALLY want a cable throttle then you would have to revert to a LS1 PCM and loom which IMO isn't worth it. The ETC (DBW) is remarkably tuneable and can in most cases offer far more advantages than a cable setup not to mention you keep all the processing advantages of the Gen 4 PCM over the Gen 3. I guess it depends on how muc hyou want the cable throttle, unless of course I am mistaken and GM for some reason kept the code/drivers for IAC (stepper motor) which I highly doubt.

Can I ask what the reliability issues with the ETC are?

Advanced Tuner
    GM has literally millions of DBW's running from around 05 onwards. The world runs on DBW these days.

Toyota got you spooked ?

Pure and simple unless a DBW ECM sees a pedal and an electronic throttle body: both operating in synch with each other and airflow/rpm/map etc it goes straight into full limp mode.

You may hear stories of people having trouble with FBW's: mainly due to going the cheapo route with incompatible tunes/pedals/FBW operating systems for retros, race cars, buggys & 4WD's.

Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    As far as I am aware the E40 nor the E38 will run a conventional cable throttle body set up effectively because there is no provision to run the IAC so unless you could somehow control idle and start up speed with fuel and spark (a la choke of sorts) and suffer the compromise when hot then I don't think it can be done.

As mentioned above if you REALLY want a cable throttle then you would have to revert to a LS1 PCM and loom which IMO isn't worth it. The ETC (DBW) is remarkably tuneable and can in most cases offer far more advantages than a cable setup not to mention you keep all the processing advantages of the Gen 4 PCM over the Gen 3. I guess it depends on how muc hyou want the cable throttle, unless of course I am mistaken and GM for some reason kept the code/drivers for IAC (stepper motor) which I highly doubt.

Can I ask what the reliability issues with the ETC are?
    DBW is probably reliable. But as it is going into a track car I was trying to minimise electrical items. I guess I will just use DBW and see how it goes. Thanks to eveyrone for your input, it is greatly appreciated, and has saved me time and money.

DBW is probably reliable. But as it is going into a track car I was trying to minimise electrical items. I guess I will just use DBW and see how it goes. Thanks to eveyrone for your input, it is greatly appreciated, and has saved me time and money.
    I guess it is like anything, it's not bulletproof and very well may give issues but no more likely that a cable IMO. You'll just need the associated pedal assembly but should work as well as cable with some advantages such as ETC rpm limiters.

Btw, what exact engine is it, because if it is from a Commodore it will be a L98or L76 (essentially LS2 with better heads) and if it's from 09 HSV then it will be a LS3. In any case all are better bases than the LS2 to me. The only thing you'd likely need to check is if it is a L76 (L98 with Active Fuel Management ie shuts down cylinders) for a track application you likely want to change the lifters etc although if it is going to be raced you'd likely be doing that anyways.

Good luck with the project, sounds interesting

Advanced Tuner
    Your avatar is the "05" HDT VH by the looks. Is that what you are putting the genIV into?

Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    I guess it is like anything, it's not bulletproof and very well may give issues but no more likely that a cable IMO. You'll just need the associated pedal assembly but should work as well as cable with some advantages such as ETC rpm limiters.

Btw, what exact engine is it, because if it is from a Commodore it will be a L98or L76 (essentially LS2 with better heads) and if it's from 09 HSV then it will be a LS3. In any case all are better bases than the LS2 to me. The only thing you'd likely need to check is if it is a L76 (L98 with Active Fuel Management ie shuts down cylinders) for a track application you likely want to change the lifters etc although if it is going to be raced you'd likely be doing that anyways.

Good luck with the project, sounds interesting
    The engine is out of a 2008 307 GTS. Does not have active fuel management.Does that make it a L98???

Your avatar is the "05" HDT VH by the looks. Is that what you are putting the genIV into?
    Yes I am building a look a like VH last of the big bangers. It is a cool project.

Advanced Tuner
    The engine is out of a 2008 307 GTS. Does not have active fuel management.Does that make it a L98???
    If its out of a GTS and is 307kw its an LS2. LS3 switch was about mar/apr 08.

Yes I am building a look a like VH last of the big bangers. It is a cool project.
    Cool as!

If its out of a GTS and is 307kw its an LS2. LS3 switch was about mar/apr 08.

Cool as!
    As above ^^^ Spot on, yep you have an LS2. that combined into a VH should be a brilliant combo. Best of luck

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted on progress.I am still in the market for a 6 speed manual box to go behind it.