Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock plugs on LNF+high boost+meth. picslol

Welp, just did a compression test. 150/150/149/151 so I guess everything is solid. Time for a leakdown maybe but that seems pointless with nearly perfect compression..
    Last edited by pantherqs; 03-09-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
    6509's are the plug of choice in the srt 4. I was told this by the Realtune Performance guys. Whick is a 1 step colder NGK but not the OEM replacement 1 step colder.
    so ur saying we can use this? and if so colder than the 3787?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Problem with the 6509's is that they are gapped .044 out of the box & delicate to adjust. My 3787's were .031 out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    rich AF plus Meth = high heat?

Any car Ive run meth on has had a significant decrease in EGT's. Like going from 1600's to 1300's on a long pull.
    But then the purpose of the methanol is utilized, timing is added, and EGTs increase.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Advanced Tuner
    Everything I've been told about water/meth says everything is cooler - the combustion/burn, the EGTs, the charge temps - there must have been another factor at play - excessive timing or some kind of malfunction. How do combustion temps move with an excessively rich mixture - cool or hot?

oh and not to get off topic, but dont_blink, what you said about the LSJ/LE5 crank triggers was complete BS - you should be ashamed of yourself for propagating such a rumor
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Then someone needs to educate himself before trying to educate others. For the same given set up, yes, methanol will cool the intake charge, the burn, and thus the EGTs. BUT, one of the great benefits of meth is knock supression, allowing more timing. What happens when you add more timing? A longer burn. The longer the burn, the hotter the cylinder charge temps get. Therefor, an increase in EGT happens.
    RSG Offroad

This is all assuming he's running 20+* of timing, which we don't know.

And Ive used it on a few cars (not calling myself some meth pro, def not even close) BUT even with leaning out and running stronger timing it still didnt match the EGT temp of without it.
    Last edited by BackyardTurbo_FTW; 03-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Running 400cc/min 100% meth and 16-17 deg up top when I race, stock timing around town <---

Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    Then someone needs to educate himself before trying to educate others. ,,,,,.
    That would be you dont_blink...

Seen that many times.

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Yeah, I'm definitely not running 20+ daily. Reason I sprung for meth is to try to alleviate some of the random knock I've got that has no rhyme nor reason for it being there. Just a bandaid, yes, but it works pretty good.

Advanced Tuner
    lol, im running around the same timing right now on my stock HHR. I need a downpipe so I can get some more lower end timing im sure. I have meth but I don't feel like tapping into my stock cold piping right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyHHR View Post
    That would be you dont_blink...

Seen that many times.
    You don't want to go down that road when it comes to engine tuning. Not with me.

Backyard and Benny, the algorithm created by the software engineers to "guesstimate" EGT and cat temp is seldom correct and in fact the farther you modify the engine, the farther its accuracy is off. Unless you are actually monitoring with a pyrometer tapped at a port (Yes, at a port, not one built into an O2 sensor 3 feet away, which 99.99999999% of the "tuners" out there don't do), you have no basis for your guesses.

It also depends on the methanol mixture. While lower ratios like say 50/50 contain more water to absorb the heat, they can't make as much power as say 75/25 with the extra alcohol content. You have to be careful when you talk about methanol injection because a lot of people get that confused with water or water/methanol injection. 100% methanol (is completely safe, don't kid yourself about flash temp and blah blah) will allow much more timing and yield much more power than 50/50 mix of water. It's very easy to run higher EGTS than prior to the injection based on the quantity, power requirements, etc.
    RSG Offroad

I know very well that cat temp readout is just a calculation and Im quite familiar with a EGT gauge thanks. Cobalt's aren't my first disco

Advanced Tuner
    You don't want to go down that road when it comes to engine tuning. Not with me.

Backyard and Benny, the algorithm created by the software engineers to "guesstimate" EGT and cat temp is seldom correct and in fact the farther you modify the engine, the farther its accuracy is off. Unless you are actually monitoring with a pyrometer tapped at a port (Yes, at a port, not one built into an O2 sensor 3 feet away, which 99.99999999% of the "tuners" out there don't do), you have no basis for your guesses.

It also depends on the methanol mixture. While lower ratios like say 50/50 contain more water to absorb the heat, they can't make as much power as say 75/25 with the extra alcohol content. You have to be careful when you talk about methanol injection because a lot of people get that confused with water or water/methanol injection. 100% methanol (is completely safe, don't kid yourself about flash temp and blah blah) will allow much more timing and yield much more power than 50/50 mix of water. It's very easy to run higher EGTS than prior to the injection based on the quantity, power requirements, etc.
    I agree. It takes much hotter temps to light methanol which means more timing and often more boost pressure is run to accomplish this. Extra heat in = Extra heat out. This is basic law of conservation of energy stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
    Running 400cc/min 100% meth and 16-17 deg up top when I race, stock timing around town <---
    Not excessive timing here..

Advanced Tuner
    He may be running a ton of low end to midrange timing though compared to what others are running. I dunno but those plugs looked cooked from excess heat. My stock plugs have never looked like that and mine get hot.

Advanced Tuner
    Then someone needs to educate himself before trying to educate others.
    I was actually reffering to the B/S you posted in another thread about removing the crank trigger wheel on the LSJ/LE5 to reveal a 7x trigger underneath. Complete B/S with no grounds, I've now seen several and this is not the case.

Why would you start such a rumor?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    I know very well that cat temp readout is just a calculation and Im quite familiar with a EGT gauge thanks. Cobalt's aren't my first disco
    It sure sounds like it.
    RSG Offroad

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    I was actually reffering to the B/S you posted in another thread about removing the crank trigger wheel on the LSJ/LE5 to reveal a 7x trigger underneath. Complete B/S with no grounds, I've now seen several and this is not the case.

Why would you start such a rumor?
    The trigger wheel can be removed. And while, correct, it's not a 7x, it is a readable trigger with the correct sensor.
    RSG Offroad

It sure sounds like it.
    Because I said Ive run meth on cars and saw a drop in EGT's? lol. Crazy concept..