Thread: Tach signal multiplier?

Tuner in Training

Tach signal multiplier?

Hello
    would it be possible to add a tach signal output scaler?multlipier for those of us who are doing engine swaps into vechicles with non stock tach's? Maybe if 1.0 was the default, .5 would decrease the pulse frequency by 50% or 2.0 would double it? If this is tough, would anyone know how to change it in the bin file manually?
    thanks

Re: Tach signal multiplier?

i'll have a look into this one. Interesting request
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Thanks a bunch! This would be a great improvement over adding on a dakota digital frequency converter, or taking apart the tach and modify the capacitor/resistor circuit

Tuner in Training

Any word on this guys? I'm close to hardwiring my car, and would love to exclude an add on signal manipulator... Does it look like a possibility? Thanks in advance

sorry nothing yet. i will look at it again next week.

I count sheep in hex...

FDLS6, one thing to check is I think that the ABS modules on newer vehicles also pull the tach signal from the PCM.

During my swap I tapped off of that line but do not have ABS anymore.

I have been using a dakota digital tach adpater for a year now and there is no latency in the device at all. I am using a 97 F-body cluster and the tach is near-instant.

However, if you pull up the scan tool and only monitor the RPM PID, you will see that the scan tool actually refreshes faster than the pre-98 gauge clusters for the f-bodies. I found that rather interesting. Thats actually how I found out my tach has a little lag in it from the factory.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    FDLS6, one thing to check is I think that the ABS modules on newer vehicles also pull the tach signal from the PCM.

During my swap I tapped off of that line but do not have ABS anymore.

I have been using a dakota digital tach adpater for a year now and there is no latency in the device at all. I am using a 97 F-body cluster and the tach is near-instant.

However, if you pull up the scan tool and only monitor the RPM PID, you will see that the scan tool actually refreshes faster than the pre-98 gauge clusters for the f-bodies. I found that rather interesting. Thats actually how I found out my tach has a little lag in it from the factory.

Has anyone tried BakerElectronics TDS? I was told about it a few weeks ago. I'd rather use the HPTuner than the TSD but the TSD would "tide" you over if you were in a bind to know what the RPM is.

TSD (tachometer signal divider/adaptor) module availible to convert the LS1 tach signal to a standard type 4, 6, 8 or 12 cyl tachometer signal for only $40, much cheaper then Dakota's $79.00 one.
    www.bakerelectronix.com
    Murphy's Laws of War:
    Bullets Have The Right-Of-Way
    Friendly Fire....Isnt
    If It Is Strong Enough The Enemy Cant Get In....You Cant Get Out
    Tracers Point Both Ways

Advanced Tuner

I was wondering if you guys could add an adjustment for the factory tach...would that tie into this too? My tach (and many 98s like it) is off by 150-200 rpms at all speeds. I would love to fix it.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Quote Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
    Has anyone tried BakerElectronics TDS? I was told about it a few weeks ago. I'd rather use the HPTuner than the TSD but the TSD would "tide" you over if you were in a bind to know what the RPM is.

TSD (tachometer signal divider/adaptor) module availible to convert the LS1 tach signal to a standard type 4, 6, 8 or 12 cyl tachometer signal for only $40, much cheaper then Dakota's $79.00 one.
    www.bakerelectronix.com
    I'm using it on my Supra. The company is very good and offered support for me. The tach only works while the trans is in reverse. I posted here in another thread about this problem. I don't know what the cause is, the adapter checks out OK until the VCM is connected to it.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

Any plans for the next release?
    2000 GMC 2500 2-bar SD
    Stock LM7, LTs, TBSS intake manifold

Potential Tuner
    i prefer to say its possible to that and yet the thing is how? its gonna be pretty difficult to add multiplier and part tach manually?