Thread: Will an 02 be okay with a 98 VIN?

Will an 02 be okay with a 98 VIN?

Anyone know? I can't license the car with HPT unless I get a 98 VIN... VIN/OSID mismatch. Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Your post is somewhat confusing as you dont mention what os you are using (02 or 98)... but here is he key...

98 os needs 98 bin.. 02 os needs 02 vin..
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bilemke View Post
    Your post is somewhat confusing as you dont mention what os you are using (02 or 98)... but here is he key...

98 os needs 98 bin.. 02 os needs 02 vin..
    his sig says 02 gtp ( 40th)L67

are you hoping to use a 98 pcm in your 02 car maybe ?
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    his sig says 02 gtp ( 40th)L67

are you hoping to use a 98 pcm in your 02 car maybe ?
    True, but he only asked about a 98..

But I gave the answer.. In regards to HPT, 98 os needs 98 vin.. 02 os needs 02 vin.... It is that simple.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Question for you. The VIN in your PCM doesn't happen to be 1G2WP5217WF296606 does it? Read on...

I had a '98 VIN in my '01.
    That's how ZZP did it.

Following is what Bill had to say about it:
    Yeah the only way we recommend going with these situations is having it flashed back to a valid file for your vin via tech 2 or similar. You should also be able to grab a valid operating system for YOUR vin number and do a write entire but this has its risks as during the erase/flash process if comms are interupted your pcm could become a doorstop ultimately costing you more time & money. In most cases its simply worth the $ to have it flashed to a file that you know is good.

As for VCM Enhancements we currently do not offer any custom operating systems for that line of V6 pcm's so it doesn't affect you for the most part.

Thanks,
    William Henn
    HP Tuners LLC.
    www.hptuners.com

----- Original Message -----
    To: Bill @ HP Tuners LLC.
    Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:21 AM
    Subject: RE: VIN/license question

Thank you for the very fast turnaround.
    I did a firmware update and read my current (ZZP) flash into an hpt now on my laptop.
    I’ve looked into having my PCM flashed by a number of local shops and the cost would be $100-$150 or 2-3 credits. That makes it a wash on cost (and a lot less hassle) to license the tune I have now and change the VIN.
    A couple questions about doing that. I own a 2001 GTP VIN: 1G2WR52131FXXXXXX
    Flashed into it is a 1998 GTP VIN: 1G2WP5217WF296606
    VCM ID: 3CXZSK8068
    VCM OS ID: 9352809
    Unlocked
    So, my factory original 2001 PCM now appears to be that of a 1998…Great.
    When I paste my real VIN into the field of the Edit/Calibration Details I get the “Invalid VIN and OS pair” message.
    · Is that going to prevent me from correcting the VIN?
    · Is there any way to reset the OS ID to a 2001 model w/o paying a mechanic a whole lot to sit in my car while holding a Tech-2 and make it run like stock?

Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:24 AM
    To: Passingpower
    Subject: Re: VIN/license question

Your best point of action would probably be to read the file off of the vcm(uses 0 credits to read) and then have your pcm programmed back to stock using a tech 2 using YOUR vin number & a valid operating system for your vin. Then read that file out and use our compare copy over differences feature to copy over the old tuning changes to your new file http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...opyoverall.swf and then write that new file back to your pcm.

This will ultimately use the least amount of credits, give you a valid stock file to start out with & ensure a smooth transition while keeping the same basic starter tune.

William Henn
    HP Tuners LLC.
    www.hptuners.com

Ultimately, ZZP reflashed their 1.0 bin with my vehicle VIN at no charge.
    An all was good after that.

Thanks for all the responses guys... to clarify some things, yes I am trying to put a 98 PCM into my 02. The car came with a highly tuned 98 bin/pcm and after driving with an 02 bin/pcm for a while now, the car really is not the same beast it once was. I'd have left the 98 pcm in the car if I was able to license it with HPT but it had a 02 VIN on it (98 bin w/ 02 VIN) so of course HPT wouldn't allow me to change anything.

I'm trying to find someone local that will change the vin on the 98 pcm TO a 98. I'm just curious if my car will run like this... there's got to be a reason the original owner put a 02 vin onto the 98 pcm right? I've read that the bcm will disable the air bags if the vin's don't match etc...

Passing, did your car (01) run okay with the 98 VIN/OS combo?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oakleafresin View Post
    there's got to be a reason the original owner put a 02 vin onto the 98 pcm right?
    the 2001 & up are supposed to have more issues maxing out trims to +16.4 for no good reason out of the blue

you and I are on a couple of the same forums and the closest thing to a description i have seen regarding this is this copy & paste from Sam's ( beyond precision 03) tuner , you may remember people asked to see his bin before the car got sorted out and he had promised his tuner not to share it:

A) there's the limited '01+ emissions diagnostic correction, that has only been solved by 1 person in the 3800 community. This person is my former college-era roommate from the Detroit area
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Hell yeah Murph, I know who you are

So you think the reasoning behind putting an 02 VIN into a 98 OS/CAL was related to something with emissions? I know TinyTuner allows you to disable the cat tests which are likely the cause of the +16 LTFT's out of the blue. Besides, I'm running 24/7 open loop so I don't care about fuel trims

Advanced Tuner
    If I could, I would run a newer os.. Beyond that, your 98 feels different then a 02 because the people that tuned it likely do not have something that can really see all the differences between a stock 98 bin and stock 02 bin.. Thus, using something to copy all of the tables it supports from one bin to another will still not result in "100% the same" feeling.