Thread: Adding a Shift Light to be Controlled by the PCM (LS1 based PCM) MANUAL TRANS ONLY!

Adding a Shift Light to be Controlled by the PCM (LS1 based PCM) MANUAL TRANS ONLY!

today I added an Autometer "Shift-Lite" to my 2001 Camaro.

Normally you purchase "Pills" that are rated for a certain RPM(they are a certain Ohm resistance which correlates to a specific RPM for the light)

I went a slightly different route..

I made it an always on style light that comes on when you connect the ground by means of a "sink-to-ground" in the PCM

I took the Wires that the Pills normally connect to and connected them together so that there is no resistance...0 ohms = 0 rpm = always on

on the LS1 PCM, RED Connector, Pin #47 (On a Manual Transmission Only) is a sink to ground that is operated by a set of parameters in the PCM File(which can be set in the tune)

there is a wire for rpm on the light as well...for when you use the pills...
    I connected it to the RED Connector Pin # 10 on the PCM because it is the RPM wire, so atleast it is seeing the RPM signal it is looking for.

In the tune you can command the shift light to come on by changing the values in the tables inside the red box in my image attachment below (this is from my 2001 Camaro..with a RTT OS...the table exists in all stock OS's as well..)

I cannot guarantee that this is the same on all PCM's... but it will work on any 99-02 LS1 based PCM with a Manual Transmission

do not attempt to do this on an automatic transmission vehicle, the pin 47 on an Auto is the control for the 2-3 shift solenoid
    Last edited by S2H; 04-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    -Scott -

It's good stuff.

I have used that output to make simple LED shift lights, with Dual Flash setups to identify one calibration from the other, and as an RPM trigger for nitrous. I'm sure with thought that it could be used for more as well.

Good post, even the people that know about it seem to forget that it's an option they have.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    I would like to do this on my LS2 2006 GTO 6 speed. Do you happen to know if they are the same as well?

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    today I added an Autometer "Shift-Lite" to my 2001 Camaro.

Normally you purchase "Pills" that are rated for a certain RPM(they are a certain Ohm resistance which correlates to a specific RPM for the light)

I went a slightly different route..

I made it an always on style light that comes on when you connect the ground by means of a "sink-to-ground" in the PCM

I took the Wires that the Pills normally connect to and connected them together so that there is no resistance...0 ohms = 0 rpm = always on

on the LS1 PCM, RED Connector, Pin #47 (On a Manual Transmission Only) is a sink to ground that is operated by a set of parameters in the PCM File(which can be set in the tune)

there is a wire for rpm on the light as well...for when you use the pills...
    I connected it to the RED Connector Pin # 10 on the PCM because it is the RPM wire, so atleast it is seeing the RPM signal it is looking for.

In the tune you can command the shift light to come on by changing the values in the tables inside the red box in my image attachment below (this is from my 2001 Camaro..with a RTT OS...the table exists in all stock OS's as well..)

I cannot guarantee that this is the same on all PCM's... but it will work on any 99-02 LS1 based PCM with a Manual Transmission

do not attempt to do this on an automatic transmission vehicle, the pin 47 on an Auto is the control for the 2-3 shift solenoid
    Good Stuff, Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It's good stuff.

I have used that output to make simple LED shift lights, with Dual Flash setups to identify one calibration from the other, and as an RPM trigger for nitrous. I'm sure with thought that it could be used for more as well.

Good post, even the people that know about it seem to forget that it's an option they have.
    for NOS maby ???
    Chevrolet LS1 Camaro 1999 M6

My FQuick

Potential Tuner
    I tried hooking a shift light up on my 2002 LS1 holden and it doesn't work? I have power to an led and the other wire going to pin 47 on the ECU. I can adjust shift light RPM. I can command the shift light to come on via tuning software (so the circuit is ok). On the original post he shows a screen with many different parameters in shift light section, on my hptuners it only has 2. High RPM and Gear Ratios??? Why does my shift light not work??

Tuner in Training
    Can the shift light be used on an auto trans application? If so which terminal on the PCM needs to be used.