Thread: WOT Tuning Question - SC'ed 3800

Tuner in Training

Question WOT Tuning Question - SC'ed 3800

Hey everybody...here's a question that I've been thinking about. My 02 3800 SC'ed Regal is currently setup to try to maintain a steady AFR throughout the whole WOT pull. However, a stock PCM is setup to gradually, through the usage of (off the top of my head, I think 2) other tables to richen up your AFR throughout the WOT run.

The 97 GTP I purchased runs a HECK of a lot quicker than my Regal, and was tuned w/o HPT...not sure what he used. However, the "enrichen" tables are still in use. Therefore, the AFR is NOT constant throughout the WOT pull.

What is BETTER to use? A constant AFR throughout the whole pull? Or let me PCM richen out the AFR as the WOT pull happens?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

- Steve
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX T/C
    Current: T62-1, S1X, GMR goodies

Tuner in Training
    Scan the commanded AFR and see how it changes compared to your actual AFR. The PE vs RPM vs Time table commands a richer and richer AFR the longer you are in WOT.

Try to get your commanded AFR to one value and make your actual AFR match it.

Tuner in Training
    I know how to do that, but my question is what is better from a performance standpoint? Richening it out over time or keeping it @ a steady AFR through the whole WOT pull?

Tuner in Training
    From a performance stand point, you will get the most power out of your car with the leanest AFR you can go without getting knock. If you can run 18* of timing with an AFR of 12.0 then that will make more power than 18* of timing with an AFR of 11.0. There are risks when going that lean however so I would recommend aiming for an AFR of 11.8 with as much timing as you can get. If you start to get KR towards the end, then richen your AFR using the PE vs Time table when you are getting the KR and see if it goes away.

You have a wideband right?

Tuner in Training
    Sounds good...and yes, I do. Just got it installed last nite. AFR @ WOT right now is ~ like 9.8 - 10.0 lol ... I don't know why he had the car running that rich...

I'll change the plugs, bump it to an 11.5, and see if I can tune it w/o KR for the pulley I have on there...

- Steve