Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first LBZ tune, take a look?

My first LBZ tune, take a look?

First Diesel tune:

I was trying for around a 60hp tune... not sure what I ended up with?

Seems to defuel about right on the shifts, pretty smooth!

More smoke than stock, but nothing crazy at all

I'm at 6700ft elevation but I tried to dial in baro tables regardless of elevation...

Tell me what you guys think / what you would change etc. Like I said, something around 60-80hp was the goal (trans safe). Thanks for looking!!

NEW REVISION BELOW

- Todd
    Last edited by GeneralTJI; 04-22-2010 at 12:10 AM.
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

Ok...

I have made several revisions to the tune, and this is what I have come up with:

This is more refined, and more powerful, and a little less smoke as well.

I also brought the vanes down at idle as smoothly as I could.

I also shut off post injection (emissions) And added some more timing seems ok?

Can someone look at this and guess what kind of power this tune makes? (ballpark)

And just check it out overall and see what you think. The truck really seems to run and shift nicely like this

Thanks in advance!!
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

32 views?

Can someone give this the 5 min look-over?
    TJI Tuning

I just keep making changes.. and so far with good results

In this tune I utilized the efi live timing calculator (with the HP conversion spreadsheet)... this added a LOT of timing But after doing some more extensive research on diesel timing, I understand why. It's SO very different from spark timing!!

Slightly more fuel, added some boost... less smoke, more power, shifts fast and pulls hard. Mileage seems to be better with this tune as well (less messing with fueling down low, just a little more timing).

Still no post injection, low vanes at idle etc.

Wouldn't mind adding a little more shift de-fuel, just to be safe... guess I'm kind of confused on how to do this properly? anyone want to chime in on how to do this?

Tune overall feels good to me? but any thoughts or comments on the tune are welcome... my best guess is that this would be a 80-100hp tune at sea level (or over stock) but I could be off!!

Thanks,

Todd
    TJI Tuning

Still looking for some feedback...

Update: Highway driving around 65-70mph is getting me 24mpg, not bad for a 4x4
    TJI Tuning

Looks Good, for some reason i couldn't get the hp tuners timing calculator to work for me

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTJI View Post
    Still looking for some feedback...

Update: Highway driving around 65-70mph is getting me 24mpg, not bad for a 4x4

Are you hand calculating the mileage? The DIC is not known for accuracy!! My has shown upwards of 30 mpg on occasion - wishful thinking! When I do the actual calculation, it always comes back to 19-20 mpg (Canadian).

I'll be glad to give you some feedback - once I've figured some of this stuff out! I'm still in the studying mode .
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges

Hand calculated...

..the wimpy 245's on the truck are helping that of course! Soon to be 265's minimum

Even though I'm cruising at 65-70 this is accelerating up to speed pretty easily. I think I could honestly squeeze 25 out by not exceeding 65 / not so long of warmups etc.... but I am thrilled with this mileage
    TJI Tuning

Been playing with my tune... FINALLY managed to get it to fuel beyond 3300 properly... pulls strong until 3800ish where I feel is good enough

Now I can run up to 90 in 4th Should help save 5th/6th

Drove around 160 miles, with some city mixed in there... got about 22.

I think part of this good mileage other than the tune / straight through exhaust is the 245's aired to 75+ .. egr / pcv bypassed. truck is empty except for small toolbox with basic tools and additives. Also I'm assuming my access cab is slightly lighter than a full 4 door?

I also run amsoil additive or diesel kleen all the time. And of course mellow on the skinny... I'm trilled with the mileage

I'm also thrilled I can fuel it up higher in the revs now.. there are a handful of tables that have to be changed and it took several tries to find them all
    TJI Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    How have you been learning what to adjust on these? I have been trying to learn the gas stuff for over a year now and my brother in law keeps asking me to tune his 06 lbz. I want to help him but don't want to hurt his truck either.

Having a lot of tuning experience with gas stuff did help.. although I have found there is of course some major differences. Timing being one of the largest... increasing timing when increasing fuel(and air) was pretty bizarre to me until I did some further reading and learned why this is necessary.

I did a lot of reading.. I pulled some tunes out of the repository and looked at those to get a feel for what others are doing.. then start working on my own map. Then began tweaking from there. The EFI live timing calculator helps a bunch with timing (there is an HP conversion spreedsheet for it)

Figuring out how to make it fuel beyond 3300ish was a task... there are a lot of tables that have to be modified, but it works great!!

Take small steps... and don't change too many parameters at at time so you can get a feel for the changes (and know what caused it).
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Did you update the above link with the latest changes?
    I'd like to compare it to a stock tune and maybe figure out what sort of changes might work for my LLY.

Thanks,
    Roy

2007 GMC 3500HD, Sinlge Rear, ECLB, LBZ, Allison, 4x4
    - PCV reroute, EGR blocked, 4" turbo back dual out exhaust, pyro and boost gauges, led upgraded cluster and steering wheel controls
    2005 Chev 2500HD CCSB, Duramax, Allison, 4x4,
    - LBZ mouthpiece, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, pyro and boost gauges

For some reason i can't get the timing calculator to work. I paste the injector pw to the table and click convert pw and it just flips the table and doesn't change anything

Hmmm... what version of Excel are you running? (or Open office?)

I of course used the HP conversion, then plugged them into the EFI calculator.. only sucky part is the EFI timing results arn't set up the same way (axis's).. so I had to manually enter each value into HP

But.... I'm still thankful to have been able to use the calc.

If you post up, PM etc. your stuff I'll try to plug it into the calc and see what it kicks back...

Did you update the above link with the latest changes?
    Only thing different about my current tune is some very minor pulse width tweaking, engine torque tweaking and some minor trans torque table tweaking and the needed changes to allow fueling up to 4k. Are you looking to rev yours out further? That took a while to get it ironed out, but it pulls strong up top now! I'm really surprised that the power doesn't really fall off much when revving it out that high...
    Last edited by GeneralTJI; 05-07-2010 at 01:53 AM.
    TJI Tuning

I was just trying it out on a stock tune to see if i could get anything out of it.

I am on Office 2007 Excel non-commercial use.

Strange.. I've actually used it on Excel 07 on my tuning laptop and Excel 2008 on my imac with no issue. Well let me know if you ever want me to run some numbers...

Only issue I'm having with my tune now is sometimes I still seem to run into a de-fueling issue when revving high in 4th gear. But not always, only once in a while. A quick let off / get back on the throttle and its good and pulls hard to 38-3900. Doesn't seem to be any real pattern either. I keep tweaking things but I don't think I have found the issue yet. Strange...
    TJI Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTJI View Post
    Strange.. I've actually used it on Excel 07 on my tuning laptop and Excel 2008 on my imac with no issue. Well let me know if you ever want me to run some numbers...

Only issue I'm having with my tune now is sometimes I still seem to run into a de-fueling issue when revving high in 4th gear. But not always, only once in a while. A quick let off / get back on the throttle and its good and pulls hard to 38-3900. Doesn't seem to be any real pattern either. I keep tweaking things but I don't think I have found the issue yet. Strange...
    Can torque management control the boost to. One thing i noticed that it only seems to pull 26lbs after i changed the Desired boost levels.

How did you know what amount to use on the pilot injection. Thats one grey area for me. i understand what is actually is going on just not all the different numbers of pilot injection.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure how far to adjust pilot injection. Getting good mileage and it pulls hard so I'm not going to mess with it much now...

I think I'm on to something with it pulling fuel in the upper rpms.. it's not actually pulling fuel... my rail pressure is dropping off.

I didn't have my laptop with me but I switched the Edge to monitor desired and actual rail pressure. They are even until the upper RPM's and then it starts to drop off...

Fuel filter has got 2k on it. I'm guessing my lift pump isn't keeping up?
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Guaranteed, the lift pump cannot create the kind of pressure the stock CP3 does. You've obviously, already found that out by scanning the actual and comparing to the desired. You may want a modified CP3 in the future. You just need the pilot to stop the rattle, and in my experience when enough of the pulse width is in front of TDC, it's easier to prevent the rattle. My pilot, if I recollect, is about 45d BTDC. Sorry, not offering much, just some affirmation.
    2005 Silverado 3500
    LLY Duramax
    Replaced injectors @ 128k miles
    Removed EGR
    PCV reroute
    LBZ turbo mouth piece
    3" intake bridge with 3" intercooler piping
    LBZ injection pump
    Custom GT4094VA
    Custom 3.5" down pipe
    Boost and EGT gauges

I'm thinking of getting a Raptor 100 or and Edelbrock 1792. I'd like to get an Airdog for the extra filters but I don't know if that will happen ($)

Hopefully that will supply enough fuel to let the cp3 keep up at higher rpms!!

Wonder if shimming the FPRV would help?
    Last edited by GeneralTJI; 05-10-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    TJI Tuning