Thread: 2010 camaro situation

Potential Tuner

2010 camaro situation

Hello all from a newbie to the site. Ive got a situation and need some help. I had a local speed shop instal a few performance items on my 2010 camaro 2SS A6 - one being a Vigilante 3400 stall converter. I drove off the lot and noticed that the transmission 'down shifts' one gear at a time, everytime I slow down. Its not too bad until it shifts into 1st gear at about 5 mph and trys to lunge the car. This got old fast so I called the speed shop and they told me that the trans needs to be tunned??? I said I paid for all that... They said that HP Tuners has not produced a tune for this car and they dont know when they will Sooo I have three questions. 1) Does HP have a tune yet? 2) is there another company that may have a tune for this car? 3) Am I going to damage my trans by driving it as is? Thanks to all in advance. Peace

Tuner
    HP doesn't have "tunes" for anything. They provide software so your shop can tune it themselves. It can be done as the newest beta version of the software does have access to the 2010 camaro and quite a few of their transmission tables. So, yes, the shop can access it if they know what they are doing.

Advanced Tuner
    as posted you will not find a canned stall converter tune,, my tran tune actually took more time than my engine tune, hp tuners will work fine for the stall tune
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Potential Tuner
    So am I wrong to feel like I got screwed? I mean- If this speed shop told me upfront, they couldn't tune the trans I would not have used this shop. They installed a cam and they tuned the engine. From the replies on this site and many others, it sounds like they just didnt want to waste their time tweaking.

Tuner in Training
    The two shops I went to said they tuned the trans, they did pretty much nothing. I ordered the tuning school guide and did it right. No regrets. First still lunges pretty hard when in TUTD though. I havent figured that out yet.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah! I know there are a few out there that dedicate and do the job right, but I have dealt with several that talk a big show and can't deliver. It seems these shops just want to take the money and send you on your way. Kinda sad

I would be upset if I paid for tuning and didnt recieve any, even though the trans tuning is a very touchy feely thing and could take a long time to get dialed in to how the driver likes it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by treedoc2000 View Post
    Hello all from a newbie to the site. Ive got a situation and need some help. I had a local speed shop instal a few performance items on my 2010 camaro 2SS A6 - one being a Vigilante 3400 stall converter. I drove off the lot and noticed that the transmission 'down shifts' one gear at a time, everytime I slow down. Its not too bad until it shifts into 1st gear at about 5 mph and trys to lunge the car. This got old fast so I called the speed shop and they told me that the trans needs to be tunned??? I said I paid for all that... They said that HP Tuners has not produced a tune for this car and they dont know when they will Sooo I have three questions. 1) Does HP have a tune yet? 2) is there another company that may have a tune for this car? 3) Am I going to damage my trans by driving it as is? Thanks to all in advance. Peace
    The car is designed to downshift one gear at a time so I’m not sure why this appears to be a problem with your car.

As for it trying to “lunge the car”, could you describe in more detail what exactly you mean? What’s your idle RPM when you’re sitting at a stoplight with the car in gear?

I’ve got a 3600 Yank converter in my 2007 Corvette and even with a huge cam in it the drivability is great so this is something that should be able to get fixed. My guess is that either your idle is set to high or for some reason they set your converter to lockup too soon. Is there any way you can have the shop e-mail you your tune and then post it here?