Thread: 05 GTO going into safe mode

Tuner

05 GTO going into safe mode

I've been tuning an 05 GTO, in which we just installed a VRX5. The car has been going into safe mode intermittently, usually a mile or two after going WOT. I don't have scan of it when it does this, but here is the tune file and the DTCs I pulled:

[ECM] P0068 - MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation (History) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) System Performance (SES) (Old) (History) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (SES) (Old) (History) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0068 - MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation
    [ECM] P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) System Performance
    [ECM] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected

Is the MAF tuning causing this? Did I miss something when turning the MAF back on after VE tuning?
    2004 PBM M6 GTO
    Torquer v.2, Lingenfelter 243s, FAST 90, PTM 92, SVO greentops, SS OTRCAI, SLP LTs, Powerbond UDP

One of these is probably your problem.....

P0300 Misfire is the nature of the beast with a cam that large. Usually ocurs at idle....most shut it off.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 05-09-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner
    Which tables need changing? Do I just need to change the enable RPM a max value?
    2004 PBM M6 GTO
    Torquer v.2, Lingenfelter 243s, FAST 90, PTM 92, SVO greentops, SS OTRCAI, SLP LTs, Powerbond UDP

You need to determine, through a log, which table(s) you are exceeding, or by trial and error....I lean towards logging so you can find the actual delta, adjust (with some margin) and still maintain the protection in case of a run away throttle.

If its happening at/after WOT is probably the TPS/AF or RPM table, but again check to make sure.

Also some max these tables, per above, I would not recommend that fix.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Try this.

Tuner
    Can't open that file^^^. It say "index was outside the bounds of the array." That's a new one???
    2004 PBM M6 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mike72678 View Post
    Try this.
    So you just disable them........

[email protected]

Engine Diagnostics-General-Diagnostic Tests PO101 P0106 PO121, Make Min ECT 257 and Max ECT 19. Make POO68 Enable RPM 8000
    Engine Diagnostics-Misfire, Make all these cells 32767

Tuner in Training
    what a timely and helpful thread. I have an 06 gto with similar issue. My misfire was due to the maf never having a chance with a vararam. You didnt mention your intake or whethere you still have the screen. I descreened a couple years ago.
    Big mistake but I'm not sure it would have made a difference with vararam. I"m running in speed density mode with full bolt ons w baby cam though. I was tripping 068, 101, 102, 103.

Engine Diagnostics-General-Diagnostic Tests PO101 P0106 PO121, Make Min ECT 257 and Max ECT 19. Make POO68 Enable RPM 8000
    (done above)
    I just turned 102, 103 off. There is no maf.

Are there going to be any more thats going to put me in safe mode? Thank goodness I had my laptop with me. I'm not sure the car would have made it back home.
    I'm just a guy trying to tune his car and learn some things.

I almost made another thread but my issues were so similar.

It's all aobut those airflow codes. Tells the PCM that the wrong amount of air is coming through the TB. So it goes into reduced power mode to keep the car from revving out of control. Though, most of the time it happens when you're going down the highway and it causes people to rear end you.

The better way to go about it is to adjust those airflow tables instead of just disabling the code. That way if there is a problem it can still work as designed.

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    what a timely and helpful thread. I have an 06 gto with similar issue. My misfire was due to the maf never having a chance with a vararam. You didnt mention your intake or whethere you still have the screen. I descreened a couple years ago.
    Big mistake but I'm not sure it would have made a difference with vararam. I"m running in speed density mode with full bolt ons w baby cam though. I was tripping 068, 101, 102, 103.

Engine Diagnostics-General-Diagnostic Tests PO101 P0106 PO121, Make Min ECT 257 and Max ECT 19. Make POO68 Enable RPM 8000(done above)

Are there going to be any more thats going to put me in safe mode? Thank goodness I had my laptop with me. I'm not sure the car would have made it back home.
    I'm just a guy trying to tune his car and learn some things.

I almost made another thread but my issues were so similar.
    This is not the right thing to do.... easy, requires no work, but hope the day doesn't come when your TB runs away.

I thought with HPTuners and knowledge, shutting off EPA/Safety DCT's and Tests was a thing of the past...

JMHO

Ed M

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Engine Diagnostics-General-Diagnostic Tests PO101 P0106 PO121, Make Min ECT 257 and Max ECT 19. Make POO68 Enable RPM 8000(done above)

Its not written to the car yet.
    I set 0068 to 7500rpm and left DCT alone. Is there a better way? Its an auto. 6800 rpm?
    I'll correct 102 & 103 in the airflow table tonight so if I ever put the maf back on I will not have to remember to turn them back on.

Any other suggestions? If not, thanks.