Thread: 2010 camaro A6 changing to manual valve body transmission

Tuner in Training

2010 camaro A6 to 4L80 swap??

A friend of mine has a 2010 camaro a6 and we are thinking about swapping over to a manual valve body transmission. I am wondering what all that would affect in the tune and what would be invloved as far as the tuning. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you
    Last edited by bluehawk2; 05-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Tuner
    Factory Tap Shift Mode is a virtual manual valve body. It only upshifts with a tap, can downshift with a tap, but will also downshift automatically from 6, 5, 4, 3, to 2 at very low MPH. All this can be changed/adjusted as desired.

Tuner in Training
    Ok..............the 6l80 in this car isn't working very well with a LSx 454 and Two Kits. We are looking for options on what to do about the trans. We want overdrive for sure, so that leaves us with only a couple of options.......TH400 with gear vendors or a 4l80.

What is going to be involved with either of these?

With the 400 we will have to deal with not having a speedometer?

Do we have the ability to transfer the 4l80 Transmission tune into the 2010 camaro tune?

If I ran a standalone controller for the 4l80 could I simply just use a 6-speed tune?

lots of questions thanks

Tuner
    interesting questions about the ability to swap an 80e into where the 6L sat. The 6L has the TCM inside the transmission IIRC. An 80e, if you were to go with one, has it external. You could use a transgo 4L80HD3 for full manual shifts. Put a Transgo 4L80 vacuum modulator kit in to bypass the EPC module that controls pressure. You may have to wire in a manual switch to lock the convertor on highway drives, not sure since I haven't installed the HD3 kit before. I like the idea of the hardwired switch on my 80e since the TCM unlocks the convertor any time I go downhill or let off the throttle.

I believe PATC in Shreveport has a 40 pulse generator and pickup for the TH400.

Tuner in Training
    Mods..................this really should have been in the transmission section.....feel free to move it.

I've been talking to RPM about this and looks like the way to go is to use a TCI standalone controller. As for the speedometer, they will modify the tailhousing of the 4l80 so it can work correctly with the 6l80 sensor and reluctor wheel.

So with that info what is the next step as far as the tune goes??...........run a six speed tune? Also i think there is some wires that need to be swapped around on the bcm....not sure what that is for.....maybe reverse lights?

I haven't had a chance to check, but you might be able to pull vehicle speed from the wheel speed sensor.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    I have installed a 4L80E in my 2010 Camaro. I used TCI stand alone controller.
    You might want to run the controller offered by the company that builds the unit for TCI. I was told that the TCI doesn't have temp compensation as the other unit.

The speedometer gets it's signal from the Anti Lock brakes. I was un able to hook up the rear VSS signal to the cars as it is not compatable with the
    4L80E.
    The downside is that my cruise control doesn't work. Speedo does though.

The 4L80E is an extremely tight fit. It's not an easy install. The harness will need to pass through a hole in the drivers side tunnel. The cooler lines will need a banjo style fitting to clear the tunnel A 90 degree on the stock fittings will not clear. Our shifter linkage is welded to the bracket. There is not enough room for a U bolt.

I have the controller programmed at WOT to shift at 6400 RPM. It's easy as hell to drive since I don't need to touch the shifter.

My trans has a 2.75 first gear and all the bells and whistles. Cost about 5 grand minus the converter, driveshaft, cooler, shifter and lines.

Best so far with the LSA crate engine is a 10.82 @ 127

Stock rear axle, on 305/40/18 Mickey Thompson Street Radials.
    Best 60' 1.65

Hope this helps.

Robin
    Last edited by Robin; 05-12-2010 at 08:15 PM.