Thread: VCM Scanner Serial USB Input Channel Protocol

Tuner in Training

VCM Scanner Serial USB Input Channel Protocol

I have a wideband A/F gauge with only an analog output. However, it is very easy to convert that analog signal to a USB serial output (using an Arduino) that I could plug into the computer and into the VCM Scanner as a channel. However, I cannot find what the VCM Scanner Serial USB Input Channel Protocol is.

I know there are numerous A/F guages with serial outputs but they still require a serial to USB converter while my unit does not, it does direct analog to USB. I have already installed my wideband A/F gauge and wired it to my data logger. But I did not know until recently (watching an HP Academy video) that the VCM Scanner will input a channel via USB. Now I have added outputting the analog A/F ratio via USB.

I just need to know what the VCM Scanner Serial USB Input Channel Protocol is so I can format the messages/data properly. I can set up the messaging/data to mimic any existing VCM Scanner Serial USB Input Channel Protocol so no changes are required to the VCM Scanner software.

Thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    Try NBP

Senior Tuner
    Had a play with this just now.

Super easy to do. Set up a virtual test session logging my bench PCM simulating an AEM serial wideband over a virtual com port pair.

I was sending 0.79\r\n (0x30 0x2E 0x37 0x39 0x0D 0x0A) repeatedly every 20ms. Picked up by the scanner no worries. You could write a bit of code to multiplex multiple comm ports into 1, but that would require exporting the log to csv and post processing there to demultiplex the data if you needed more than 1 input.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 174929.png

May want to just upgrade to Pro Feature set with cable. I have the AEM 0334 that uses CAN. However it also has a analog output that works great with the pro feature set. Just used it this weekend and could not be happier that I only need one WB for everything.