Thread: 1-2 Shift Rev Limiter and 2-1 Shifts as well

1-2 Shift Rev Limiter and 2-1 Shifts as well

It seems at WOT, my car will hit the rev limiter in the 1-2 shift and also in the 2-1 downshift. What's the best way to correct this? Lower shift points based on RPM? So command the car to shift at 100-200rpms lower than it was before so the tranny can make it try and shift and get it into the next gear before the rev limiter?

Thanks.

Without seeing your tune I am guessing a bit.

If you like/want to shift at the set RPM lower the MPH setting a few. The VCM wants to see both RPM and MPH requirements to shift. Then raise the rev limiter a little if it still hits it. After that start to lower your shift RPM till you have it shifting where you want.

Also I would set the 100% TPS line in part throttle shift to the same as WOT, I do not have any clue if it would look at that line or why they have both but setting them the same eliminates the chance of that being a problem.

The 2-1 shift I assume that it hits the rev limiter then shifts back to 2nd is that correct? If so lower the WOT shift speed to several MPH below the 1-2 WOT shift MPH. That way it will not down shift just to be in gear long enough to have to shift back to 2nd.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Tuner
    Zero out your MPH WOT table and let it shift on RPM only, this way if you run a different size slick at the track you don't have to deal with the headaches. I ruined a tranny years ago from rev limiter hits, killed the clutches.
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

What about for downshifts? How does the PCM know when to downshift from 2nd to 1st if it's reading only off of RPM only and not MPH?