Thread: Disable Passlock (VATS) 97-99 Cav/Sunfire

Potential Tuner

Disable Passlock (VATS) 97-99 Cav/Sunfire

Is it possible? We were checking out stock tunes and VATS was set to disabled from the get-go.

Potential Tuner

vats disable

I tried on a 98 sunfire and the vats did disable and then I was left with a theft light and a brake light that would not go off. Technically the vats was disabled although I couldn't give the car back that way so we ended up repairing properly. Unless you are going to pull bulbs from cluster save your credits for something better.

Potential Tuner
    I need something temporarily so I can figure where the break or bad splice is to the cluster. Now when you plugged it in, was VATS set to enable?

Potential Tuner
    Any more info on this? Have a strange UART comm issue on this car, customer does not want to spend big $$$ fixing it and would rather have VATS disabled.

To answer for lanman he fixed his issue after he replaced a fusable link under the lower radiator support. If i remember correctly. ON VATS subject my 99 was set to disabled from the factory, and it had to be enabled first....then it would be truly disabled for "one" ignition cycle. That was on my 99 auto Z24.
    also try this........
    1. Set the VATS value to "PWM"
    2. Set DTC P1626 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    3. Set DTC P1629 to "3 - No Error Reported"
    Last edited by -MD- HHR; 08-24-2010 at 03:11 PM.

vats

i am interested if to hear if that works i have been messing wit a 99 cav trying to diable the vats i can get it to start without the cluster but then the car won't rev even with the vats codes set to no error it a race car and they wanna get the cluster out and start it with a toggle. i was wondering if you have to do write entire to disable it need to do the same to an 2000 camaro ecm for retrofit into another body

before I could get my car to a tuner, to turn off vats I made my own circuit to simulate the signal that the PCM sees to allow the car to keep running. Not sure how handy you are but it is actually a pretty easy circuit to build if you are familiar with electronics. Also I think someone out there makes what I made for like $50 or something. Basically you just use a 555 timer and the proper resistors and capacitors to create a 50hz 5volt 50 pulse width signal.
    86 Mazda RX-7 LS1, T56, 100 shot, Daily Driver

Tuner
    I need help with this I have a 97 grand am with a 2.4 quad four and it will start and die due to the Passlock. right now the car is a few days from the junk yard because we just aren't going to pay a lot to fix the car.

Is there anyway anyone knows how to disable passlock, even if it is building a circuit to make the square wave? What is the waveform needed for my car being a 97.

any help would be apprecaited.....otherwise it is a perfectly good car with 100k on it, I would hate to throw it away......

Ken

Advanced Tuner
    just find someone with a tech 2,, on these older vehicles you can go into the cluster and perform the theft re-learn,,, just un plug the sensor in the ignition,, then go to the cluster and do the theft re-learn and the cluster will no longer look for the key signal and theft will be disabled and car will start every time

i have done this on many 4cyl race cars for guys,, as long as the cluster is good you will be fine
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    just find someone with a tech 2,, on these older vehicles you can go into the cluster and perform the theft re-learn,,, just un plug the sensor in the ignition,, then go to the cluster and do the theft re-learn and the cluster will no longer look for the key signal and theft will be disabled and car will start every time

i have done this on many 4cyl race cars for guys,, as long as the cluster is good you will be fine
    This is just what I am trying to do. Can I just bring the instrument panel to the dealer?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by o2l8 View Post
    This is just what I am trying to do. Can I just bring the instrument panel to the dealer?
    no
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear