Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: tune....

tune....

this is a small idle check....... i got the tune from a friend that had similar mods, what worries me is the 30 degrees of timing?

If it isnt obvious yet, I am new to hptuners, i know the very basics and thats it.

btw, attachment is the file of the minute and half of idle, throttle was never touched.

Tuner in Training
    what is ur idle and map settings set at

Attach the .hpt. What are you tuning? What are the mods? 30 deg. isn't bad as long as you're commanding it - still leaves room for idle spark adaptation. I'd be far more concerned with the trims.

Can't believe I missed that at first glance! Your O2B1S1 is stuck at .17 volts give or take. That explains your trims. You won't be able to tune (or log meaningful data for that matter) until you fix that.
    Last edited by passingpower; 05-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.

The car is a Pontiac Sunfire, engine is a 08 GP with top swap from a 00 GTP.

Mods are VS Cam, N*/LQ4, 3.4 pulley, 60lbs injectors, 3" full exhaust......

This tune was made up from a friend, he owns a turboed 3800 cavalier (runs 10's) so he knows his tuning.

The 02 sensor might need to be changed as it made a rattle when i installed it.

When it comes to changing anything so far, I am clueless, I am JUST starting out now and have not yet driven the car, but will obviously know more once I do and present a proper scan of the drive.

BTW, I did attach a file..........

You attached an hpl file. That gives us a look at effect. the hpt lets us see the cause part, just as informative. I'll bet your buddy has the timing jacked for throttle response. In the event he doesn't want his hpt posted on a forum, that's all well and good - but, the best we'll be able to do is guess at the reasons you're getting the result you are.

Oh, my bad, I didn't realize you wanted a different file, I just assumed you didn't see it... my apologies. I will attach the actual hpt tune file so you can see the changes applied, right now for some reason it is not allowing me.

Please accept my ignorance when it comes to hpt, I am still extremely new but I am a quick learner, I basically swapped the engine with basic hand tools lol (close!). Once I take the car out and learn more about what does what and what affects certain things within hpt, I will not be such a newb.
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-21-2010 at 04:04 PM.

file attached...

Also I have noticed the rpm is too low, need to bump that up to over 1000rpm, it does not want to idle at all and it seems to me as though perhaps i may have a vacuum leak.... it shows about 10/12 psi vacuum around idle, i remember my last motor it was 20.

Keep in mind that a cammed engine won't vacuum down as hard as stock but, 10-12 seems shallow for a VS I agree. I'll have a look at that tune once I get settled into my weekend. Don't drive at all with that O2 sensor like it is. Have a look for scorched wires between that O2 and PCM. That should keep you busy this weekend.

02 has been changed, also I would think the computer is still "learning".... just as I am haha. No scorched wires as the wiring harness is next to new and its all very nicely wrapped and well away from heat (zip tied away from manifolds, etc...)

I would appreciate you looking at the tune, much appreciated, I know my friend Steve who did the tune, basing it off his car when it had very similar mods, cam/tb & maf, just smaller injectors.... he knows what he is doing but different opinions never hurt, I just want it to idle half ass nicely because I plan on taking it to the streets tomorrow.
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Yup, he's commanding that spark at idle. Watch out - your High Oc spark table Is copied over to the Low Oc. You have no safety net for in case of bad fuel. You'll want to check with Steve; what octane is this tune for? I'm guessing 96ish. The base power enrichment looks good. Right where a force fed engine should be. Is this going to be a track only car?

What size injectors are you running? do you have a fuel pump rewire?

BTW, that O2 reading is definitly not learning. It should cycle from about 0.08 to 0.97 volt at least once every second with a new sensor.
    Last edited by passingpower; 05-21-2010 at 09:23 PM.

The scan is from the old/bad 02.... i will make a new scan tomorrow.

The fuel is 94octane and it is 7 months old....... I was thinking of throwing some octane booster in it to wake it up a little, worse comes to worse i remove it and put in new 94. The car is not a track only, its completely streetable but once its tuned properly it will see the track.

Injectors are 60 lbs, fuel pump is not the normal grand prix rewire that is popular, but it has been rewired in the harness to get power straight from the battery, it gets full juice.

I will post up the new idle scan tomorrow morning, hopely 02 readings get cleared up.

Thanks again for your time, it is very appreciated.

Ok, street car. What state are you in? I'll look up your gas standards.

No state, Ontario, Canada... eh?

94 octane is the highest available at the pumps except at race tracks.

Not ANOTHER Canadian! Hehe. My dad's side are all around Montreal. More than half don't speak English. Back to business... I know Ontario 94 is 10% ethanol. So, I highly recommend dropping your PE base AND stoich by 0.5 or 0.6 AFR to compensate. Chemically, E10 has a lower stoich point ant the PCM should be let in on the secret that the tank contains a blend. In cruise, the NBO2 will trim the mixture to stoich. In PE you'll run 4-6% lean. I killed 6 or 7 deg of mystery knock by doing this. Carb jockies and motorcycle tuners call it "rejetting". Google it.

Yep another crazy canuck with another crazy swap.

Bad news, its raining like crazy here and STUPID me forgot to insure the car yesterday, it only has fire and theft, so I may get lucky and drive it down the street, but I won't be able to get it legal until Tuesday evening.... damn.

Aside from that, I will read up on how to make those changes as well as talk to Steve (my personal tuner haha) and figure some stuff out, just want to obviously get the idle smoothed out first and formost.

EDIT, I will get some time to get a idle scan, 2 minutes should do? Hopely the 02 helps it out this time around.... also should I have done a case relearn? All I did really was copy the stock file, send it to Steve, he made the changes, I wrote it back to the pcm... nothing else.
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-22-2010 at 07:35 AM.

You won't need to do the CASE relearn. Esp if the check eng light isn't on. Who made those injectors BTW?

CEL.... ha... perhaps I should indicate now that I do not have one as I have a full autometer cluster replacement. I guess it would be a good thing to set up a small LED to the CEL wire to indicate a code.

The injectors are the 65# Mototrons sold by ZZP.

One thing I did notice that perhaps may/may not make a difference, but under the abuse mode/torque management the tune had under rpm 8000, tps 100% and speed at 206km/h..... I had read that those numbers should be all 0.

I'll look up some of those numbers too.

I am tempted to toss the stock injectors, stock TB back in just to have a nice idle, but there is no fun in that, I am in this far (time and $ wise) that it would be a huge waste. I have a lot of patience when it comes to things like this, but its something I want to learn fast... but I realize it won't happen, I just want to do some !!!

To change the PE base, it is under engine, pe, base afr vs. ect? And when you say .5/.6 is that %? Again I aplogize for my ignorance, I am trying to learn perhaps too much too quickly, I got the dumb!

Also, my Stoich AFR is set at 14.70020, should I lower that some?
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.