Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: tune....

.5 of an AFR. So, change stoich to 14.12:1 and base vs ECT to 11.2 under the operating temp range. (centered around the t-stat temp)

I changed my afr to 14.12, I could not before because I had it under basic view, its the newb in me.

Under the PE, I should change the base #'s to 11.2, all of them the same? Right now they are 9.8 the lowest to 11.8 the highest (11.6 at 0 degrees Celcius)

This is the new file I modified, please let me know if it looks okay and any changes necessary?

I will send you some canadian beers for the help haha

I should have told you to change your 11.8s to 11.2. Leave the rest alone as the cold and hot engine enrichment is a safety net.

here is the new scan....... good news, the idle has come back to normal and at 1200 rpm which is what i commanded it at!

Ok i changed everything in the 11.2 area, especially the 11.8's to 11.2, so now nothing is over 11.2, is that ok?
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-22-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Sounds like that should be ok. I'll take a close look at those files when I and the boy get back from cub scouts. Do you have a screen in front of that MAF?

no screen, it is the lq4 maf sensor.

apparently i have a bad 02 sensor, steve has been helping me out with this tune and says the 02 is terrible, running way lean...... i will upload another idle and a test drive.

another idle test...... and then a test drive, got in the throttle alittle because i miss it.............. but i wont get hard on it until its running properly.

From what Steve gathers from the idle scans and the test drive scan, the engine is about 20% lean 100% of the time... he says bad 02 sensor, vacuum leak, exhaust leak, etc, could be culprit.

I pulled all the plugs and all 6 showed no sign of lean, so I don't know, I just am not liking this lean issue at all.

Based on test3 and drive: Good news. your oxygen sensor and it's wiring are working. Bad news, yup, you're running lean. The only time the O2s go high is when you're throttling it - giving it enough air to raise the IDC enough to even reach stoich.

Let me dig deeper.

Appreciate your insight.

I will be checking the vacuum lines and fittings, listening for a leak is near impossible, the CAI I built has the blower real loud, as much as it sounds awesome, can't hear anything else haha. The hoses should be fine as they are not old at all, but there could be a cut, anything is possible.

Is perhaps the maf sensor dirty? I will clean it just for good measure.

Realizing now about how bad it leans out, I will not be going over 50% throttle and staying out of boost completely, as much as the car just wants to haul, I rather keep the engine in one piece than replace a chipped piston or worse.

Can you tell me if you're running a single or dual speed fuel pump?

It is a stock Sunfire fuel pump, it should not be the issue as there have been a few running such swaps that have pushed it quite far. I do plan to upgrade in a matter of weeks, I hope the pump isn't what is causing the lean issue... it should be flowing more than what the engine needs.

Ok. Where did you get the PCM you're running?

Wreckers... it is a 99 Grand Prix pcm.

Also, I know the pump is getting full voltage as its wired up in the harness to do so from the guy who did my wiring, he has the same swap but in a Cavalier, this is so it gets full juice 100% of the time.... but again, anything is possible.

Let me think on this for a while.

Haha, no worries, go enjoy your weekend!

Again, I appreciate your help a lot.

Can you find out from that guy what size wire he used from the pump to the relay? That will help a lot.

I believe it was 12 gauge, I checked voltage at car off... 12.xx, car on it was 14.xx.

Now ofcourse I cannot say there isn't a voltage drop while driving/idling, there should not be because he wired it so it would get constant battery.

Perhaps the pump isn't flowing the fuel it should?

Those are excellent voltages! I have a handful of changes that I think will help. You've got a couple choices. I can make them for you and post the hpt back to you explaining why or, I can describe the changes I think will help. The first option should get you running quicker. The second, you'll have more involvement. Either way you'll know what's going on and be learning.