Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: tune....

Car off i mean with the fuel pump priming/on... should clarify that as ofcourse the fuel pump is off when car is off, if it was constant it would be draining the battery and killing the pump.

I am going to be changing fuel pumps regardless because that is the weakest point in the fuel system. Hope to have it by next weekend, going with a Racetronix.

I am willing to try anything as long as its subtle, but I do know to baby the car if I am taking it out onto the street. If you want to change the file I can try it out, take it for a short drive (15 mins?) then post back the results.

I have a quick question, when resetting fuel trims, do I simply click on that button or do I click on the "on" button above it? When I clicked on the reset trims I received no confirmation...... I searched but did not find anything that would explain in detail.

Thanks again for your help.

Just hit the reset trims button, that's all. You won't get a confirmation.

What's the on/off buttons above it mean?

Hmm, I will start fresh with that again and go for a longer drive come Tuesday/Wednesday.

On/off is the ability to disable trim learning. I know it works for the V8s but, I don't think the 6-ers get the luxury. You'll see a lot of that. We have to get - um - creative with our tuning.

Creative.... understatment for me, I had to get creative just to get the engine and half its parts in the car!

I am keeping busy in the mean time, trying to calibrate my speedo so HPT see's the speed, as well as installing stereo in the car, as much as hearing the blower whine makes me all excited, I do need some tunes in the car once in awhile!

Ha ha. I had a pretty good sounding(heavy) system in my GrandAm. Still have it in my garage. Between the added weight and overpowering the sound of the Eaton, I can't bring myself to installing it in the Prix.

I am not into the bass, I have a nice set of Focal 6.5" comp in the front, RF 4 channel amp to power those nicely, some pair of Pioneer 6x9's in the back, probably will switch those out eventually, I am in the SQ, I like the loudness and crispness, too many thugs in their zippy cars and big SUV's have big systems around here.

I tried to make my car into a sleeper, but somewhere between the supercharger sound, big ass brakes on the car, 3" exhaust and a cam to boot...... I lost that battle.

Crap.
    I can't save the changes. license restrictions. we're gonna have to do this the hard way. At the top of the list is to calibrate the IFR table for for PROPERLY supplied 60#ers. At 43.5 psi(3 bar) they flow 60 lb/hr. so far, so what. At ~52 psi (3.5 bar -L67 rail pressure) they'll flow 65.6 lb.hr. L67s are fitted with a BOSCH 1:1 fuel pressure regulator which should hold the pressure drop across the injectors constant at 3.5 bar.
    What all that means is enter 65.6 in EVERY cell in your IFR table for a flat line with no slope.
    Try that and LMK how she idles.

Will make changes to file right now..... will load it to the pcm tomorrow morning.

Also, I will be checking my fuel pressure, pretty important thing I am overlooking, I do believe it should be between 42-48psi, somewhere in that area.

EDIT.... to make that change, I am to go to the Injector control,flow rate vs. KPA? If so, those numbers show 7.60 - 8.02..... I must be looking at the wrong table?
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-23-2010 at 10:35 PM.

42-48 at idle, when the plenum is sucked down by about 8-10 psi. the regulator brings the rail down by the same ammount.

gotta go for tonight.

Where do I make these changes? The IFR vs. KPA in the engine/fuel control selection? I will read up some more on these changes, I hate learning, probably why I didn't enjoy school until 11th grade, yikes!

Yes, it should be 43-45 at idle as per the Grand Prix specs, I know that was what my last motor ran at also.
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-23-2010 at 10:44 PM.

I am also willing to put the stock injectors back in just to make sure the injectors are not the cause.... but I can do that once i have some other things checked.

Yes, IFR vs. KPA.
    I'll bet we're both reading Document ID# 564570. Look at step 25. Engine off (0 psi intake vac) gives a resting fuel pressure of 51.5 psi. (that's the center of the stated range of 48-55 psi.) The regulator will pull rail pressure down or up according to the intake vacuum or boost. Have a read at this:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23979

Ya I figured it was that but realized after doing a short search that mine was showing g/sec and yours was showing lbs/hr (imperial vs metric)...... oops, quick fix, I now have 65.6 across the board as per your request, will be firing her up this morning.

First will be checking fuel filter and vacuum hoses, then hooking up my fuel pressure gauge.

In your post, it sure sounds like GM screws us owners in more ways than the Government, very sad.

EDIT: Another thing that leads me to believe its vacuum is the idle takes awhile to come down if i were to give it throttle, it sort of hunts, with a lightened flywheel that rpm should come straight back down.....
    Last edited by Isaak; 05-24-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Just throwing this out there.... but considering the supercharger is just one big vacuum and lets say for arguement sake, one were to not tighten down completely, would it cause a engine to have a large vacuum leak and cause it to run lean?

............... ya................ oops, checking if its fixed now, just going over some other things.

That would really suck...

Sorry.

During idle, spray carb/brake cleaner around all the intake gaskets and vac lines. that will disrupt the unmetered oxygen flow and cause a stumble/surge. When you can stumble the engine consistantly, you've found the leak.

Loose blower would cause a vac leak at idle and cruise and pressure leak at WOT. Very difficult to tune around to say the least.
    Last edited by passingpower; 05-24-2010 at 11:05 AM.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you commanding a 1200 RPM idle for a VS cam?

That was just to test, I will be putting it back down to about 950... btw the car is 5 speed.

Having issues uploading again..... will attempt in a couple minutes

new file...

Here's a cheat sheet for ya.
    Have you found any leaks?