Thread: Sex change for the cable and unit.

Sex change for the cable and unit.

I do not know if this has been suggested or recommended before but the HPT cable and unit are built backwards. The cable is a male so when connected to the car voltage in present on the pin(s) exposing the PCM to potential shock. Changing the cable to a female will eliminate the issue completely.

I have accidentally shorted the power pin to a neighboring pin before with the riser on the MVPI unit no damage but the potential is there.

I would like to request that in the one of next batch to be manufactured that the sex of the cable and MVPI be reversed. It would be easy to supply replacement cables for the current style cable after the change also just include a $3 converter http://www.trianglecables.com/db9maltomall.html

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Uh, I just leave the USB and OBD-II cables permanently connected to the MPVI...

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our MPVI units have been on the market since early 2006(so 4 years) and the ONLY issues I've EVER heard of was when people connect the obd2 cable directly to their laptop lol, other than that we've never come across an issue with the current design through many customers connecting to every vehicle imaginable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Uh, I just leave the USB and OBD-II cables permanently connected to the MPVI...
    Yeah, not sure why you would have to disconnect the OBD cable...
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I leave the OBD cable connected to the car most of the time and disconnect the MVPI to pull the logs when I get in the house.

I figured that it would be best to go with the industry standard for plugs. Just think of what it would be like if your house electrical plugs were designed this way, all the plugs would have two live poles sticking out that could easily short and thats dangerous.

I'm not saying that it is necessary to change this but it would also prevent people from stupidly connecting the OBD cable to the computer.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I do not know if this has been suggested or recommended before but the HPT cable and unit are built backwards. The cable is a male so when connected to the car voltage in present on the pin(s) exposing the PCM to potential shock. Changing the cable to a female will eliminate the issue completely.

I have accidentally shorted the power pin to a neighboring pin before with the riser on the MVPI unit no damage but the potential is there.

I would like to request that in the one of next batch to be manufactured that the sex of the cable and MVPI be reversed. It would be easy to supply replacement cables for the current style cable after the change also just include a $3 converter http://www.trianglecables.com/db9maltomall.html
    They are not built backwards. We don't want to repair interfaces for bent pins. Why dont you unplug the OBDII end from the vehicle first before connecting the MPVI, then you solve all of your problems. Not sure why you would even be disconnecting the MPVI from the cable anyways. If its a permanent install with the OBDII plug removed, install a switch to turn off the power to your cable.

Ken
    Last edited by Casey; 05-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I leave the OBD cable connected to the car most of the time and disconnect the MVPI to pull the logs when I get in the house.

I figured that it would be best to go with the industry standard for plugs. Just think of what it would be like if your house electrical plugs were designed this way, all the plugs would have two live poles sticking out that could easily short and thats dangerous.

I'm not saying that it is necessary to change this but it would also prevent people from stupidly connecting the OBD cable to the computer.
    It's not like you can't pull the logs when you get inside if the OBDII cable is still attached though.

I have never heard of or read of anyone hooking the OBDII cable up to the computer, leaving out the interface and then wondering what was happening...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com