Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about us V6 newbs

Tuner

What about us V6 newbs

Okay gentlemen, when is someone (i.e. Bill Henn) gonna write up a comprehensive guide to understanding HPT and a tuning guide. I imagine everyone will yell "read the help files" and I agree theres alot of info there. But I also know that sometimes the terminology or the previous knowledge you must have before you can really understand is more than some of us are ready for. I'm not saying I'm a dummy, just that I am not in the same league YET as the advanced tuners. And I think that the basics are skipped when it comes to HPT. Maybe it's just me, but I would really like someone to do a thorough write-up on our boosted V6's.
    Thanks for hearing me. If anyone decides to do it, you effort will be much appreciated.
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: What about us V6 newbs

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTP
    Okay gentlemen, when is someone (i.e. Bill Henn) gonna write up a comprehensive guide to understanding HPT and a tuning guide. I imagine everyone will yell "read the help files" and I agree theres alot of info there. But I also know that sometimes the terminology or the previous knowledge you must have before you can really understand is more than some of us are ready for. I'm not saying I'm a dummy, just that I am not in the same league YET as the advanced tuners. And I think that the basics are skipped when it comes to HPT. Maybe it's just me, but I would really like someone to do a thorough write-up on our boosted V6's.
    Thanks for hearing me. If anyone decides to do it, you effort will be much appreciated.
    why do I always get pulled into this stuff lol if thats the case hpt might have to include me on their payroll which I doubt will happen anytime soon

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner

Well, someone as knowledgeable as yourself could share your great wisdom But really, think about it. Or some other V6 tuner should do it. I know it comes down to the fact that tuning is a source of money. Thats why there are plumbers, electricians, technicians, etc. You guys have years of hard earned experience and don't want to do it for nothing. So I understand. But I think that if someone was willing to do a comprehensive guide, myself and others would be willing to compensate for the labor.
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

We do have a user submitted V6 tutorial in the que.. We'll try to have it in there for the 2.0.17 release.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTP
    Well, someone as knowledgeable as yourself could share your great wisdom But really, think about it. Or some other V6 tuner should do it. I know it comes down to the fact that tuning is a source of money. Thats why there are plumbers, electricians, technicians, etc. You guys have years of hard earned experience and don't want to do it for nothing. So I understand. But I think that if someone was willing to do a comprehensive guide, myself and others would be willing to compensate for the labor.

To anyone that feels like tackling tuning thats fine with me...its the time that goes into writing something up I dont look foward to...with the SD tuning thing that took me most of my vacation when I was down in VA to do with the help of like 3 or 4 other people adding in their .02 some of them not even hpt users. That was just one aspect of tuning...try to bundle in everything there is for v6 tuning would take me months to do it correctly...look at devildog9999 he put in alot of effort into his writeup...theres no way I could put that much effort into something and write it all down. His stuff is a good start IMO but theres tons more that could be introduced or changed in it. & honestly im not the man when it comes to v6 tuning...i still have questions I ask about doing it...I know a good amount and that gets me by in tuning other cars but v6's are a different animal...just like ls2's are different by far then ls1's. Also look at the ls1 crowd imo ls1's are pretty strait foward...look how long it took for someone to do a tuning 101 for them and they've been around since 96'...think about it 1997 model year vette so probably late 96's the motor was in a car...nearing 10 years it took someone to come up with a tuning document that could semi be relyed on for info. And even some of that could be added upon or changed depending on your school of thought. What im saying is at this point it would take too damn long to put something together & even if I did thats not to say there would be 100% correct info in it. I as well as everyone on here is learning new shit every day...If you look hard enough you'll find all the answers you need.

Advanced Tuner

Just my $0.02 to start off. This is JMO with my suggestion. We all know Keith, Ken, amd Chris cannot dedicate that much time into writing tutorials for everyone. Here is my suggestion: What if HP Tuner would give maybe a discount on future upgrades or some kind of incentive for someone who would write up a Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced tuning guide. Of, course it would have to be approved via those gentlemen I mentioned above. This will bring more business to HP Tuners and everyone would benefit from this. Maybe get a few people from each community to assist in this venture?

I have recently bought HP Tuners package and unfortunately I cannot use it yet until I go home. I think I will understand a lot more of what people are talking about once I start using it. My wife gets mad at me when we talk because I always ask about my car (04' Monte Carlo SS w/ 1,085 miles on her). We bought it in July when I was on a break.

Would it be possible to look into my idea further? JMO all!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Here is the guide I did up...It is IN NO WAY perfect, and by using it you assume all responsibility.

It needs work, and I have been looking around for MONTHS for some of the more advanced tuners to help refine it, and break it up into sections for different level users. The problem is exactly what Bill said - TIME. No one has the time to sit and do it.

I have been, and still am interested in putting in the time, however I just do not have the level of knowledge to complete it and call it a "Bible" for the V6 guys....

Ver 2.x Users: http://www.wnyym.com/newbie/tuning_new.htm

Ver 1.X Users: http://www.wnyym.com/newbie/tuning_old.htm
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by devildog9999
    Here is the guide I did up...It is IN NO WAY perfect, and by using it you assume all responsibility.

It needs work, and I have been looking around for MONTHS for some of the more advanced tuners to help refine it, and break it up into sections for different level users. The problem is exactly what Bill said - TIME. No one has the time to sit and do it.

I have been, and still am interested in putting in the time, however I just do not have the level of knowledge to complete it and call it a "Bible" for the V6 guys....

http://www.wnyym.com/newbie/tuning_new.htm

Thanks for fixing the PE stuff

Quote Originally Posted by foff667

Thanks for fixing the PE stuff

Like I said - I am willing to put in the time. I just need input from the more advanced users. Perhaps a new forum section to develop the V6 tuning Guide?

Tuner

Like I said - I am willing to put in the time. I just need input from the more advanced users. Perhaps a new forum section to develop the V6 tuning Guide?
    HELLA GOOD IDEA. Maybe if everyone added some things they've tried, whether succeeding or not, we could build a real good section. Nice ideas guys.
    And devildogg, I (and others I'm sure) really appreciate the effort with the guide . I've had it printed off for several months now.

Ver 2.x Users: http://www.wnyym.com/newbie/tuning_new.htm

Ver 1.X Users: http://www.wnyym.com/newbie/tuning_old.htm

howdy, curious about the info on these links? links are dead.
    yep, newbie here....
    just curious.

X2 on more help with a guide.

Just seems like us v6ers need to get together and work on it together. I like the idea of a added section.

This would be cool too... http://turbov6camaro.com/tuning/

but the traffic is low. I did link a few things that help out from other boards I have found.

Problem with the v6ers I see, is we have lots of people who use it but alot of our tuning is spread more thinly across several models. Just seems like we all don't just get together. I'd help do a write up and throw some time in, problem is I don't know anything.

I am browsing w-body boards at least once a week and I don't even own one

Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing

howdy, curious about the info on these links? links are dead.
    yep, newbie here....
    just curious.

They work fine for me...

the links are working now...awesome.
    my kid has a 02 camaro. just did a h/c, u/l intakes, headers etc.
    having lots of trouble tuning. so im also bouncing around reading everything i can..
    im a schmoe when it comes to tuning... :

Tuner

I think HP needs to FIX the BUGS in V6 first. I mean it shows my 3.4L with over 800 foot pounds of TQ.
    2004 Chevy 1500 CC 5.3L 2000 Pontiac GA 3.4L 1995 Pontiac TA LT1 1997 Camaro 3.8L

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by rckrzy1
    I think HP needs to FIX the BUGS in V6 first. I mean it shows my 3.4L with over 800 foot pounds of TQ.
    Oh crap...that was a bug?
    ;D
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser
    Oh crap...that was a bug?
    ;D
    It forces you to remove all TM since you have no idea where to set it and you can't set it high enough to function because you can't enter "reduce torque above 1100foot pounds".

And HP won't aknowledge me any more, just to say not all functions will
    work. I myself consider being able to read the tq properly fairly important.
    2004 Chevy 1500 CC 5.3L 2000 Pontiac GA 3.4L 1995 Pontiac TA LT1 1997 Camaro 3.8L

Have you sent a .hpt and .hpl file to support yet?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    I have personally submitted a few with questions, referencing this problem as well. Also, take a look at the scan I posted with questions on the Knock Sensor stuff (Scanner questions thread)
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    was not asked to do so.