Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idle, Throttle Follower, and Throttle Cracker

I am using a newer style card MAF but I suppose I could go back to the old temp sensor. Do you mean just have it anywhere near the front of the car or still in the intake track as mine is very short and sits right above the radiator. While driving its a non issue but all the heat from the rad goes right over the MAF while sitting. Looking for a suggestion on location.
    Last edited by Exidous; 09-17-2010 at 08:20 AM.

I think on my Vette it's down low in the front where air enters the radiator and the intake. I would get it as low and out in the front of the car as possible to get it away from engine heat. You should be taking in cold air, not air from the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Exidous View Post
    For the AC you need to look at the Adaptive Idle Airflow and add some air under the A/C on part. As for the Craker it was all trial and error for me. Can't give it too much or it will never come down and too little and it will still stall. Overall I ONLY needed to mess with the 400-2200RPM by 0-40 MPH to fix stalling at a light or maneuvering while parking. Follower was the same way. Just trial by error. Add more air if needed in fairly small increments until you get the desired results.

This is how I did it and probably not the right way but it did work for me. The car is still hard to start when heat soaked and will die easily due to the intake air temp not reading the right temp. Only thing wrong with the tune left that I can find. I guess i'll have to do the bias table. /sigh
    sounds like one of those things you just have to get a feel for what it wants. I'm going to try and see if I can get this part tuned this weekend.

Advanced Tuner
    So can i move my IAT sensor to where it wont catch heat soak?

Tuner in Training
    yes. i moved mine from the MAF, using the stock IAT sensor that came on my '00, and put it down below where the AIR pump was, poking it out the bottom to get airflow. i've drove in the rain and haven't had any problems with it either. hot starts are a thing of the past now

Quote Originally Posted by printmanjackson View Post
    sounds like one of those things you just have to get a feel for what it wants. I'm going to try and see if I can get this part tuned this weekend.
    If you have a car that has the TC active at clutch-in for a manual (and really all autos), I use it for rolling idle with F-bodies. Make a histo using the TC table and log MPH. At clutch-in, dips will populate the 400 RPM column with vehicle speed so that you know where to add airflow in the TC table.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I always wondered if you could run a RussK Idle config with the AC on and get the AC difference in idle compared to the non AC Base Running Airflow and use that figure in the AC adjustment cells....But I took my AC out.

I'm not sure it should come all the way down to idle until you get to the Idle MPH to enable Idle. Even stock cars don't coast at idle. What is yours coasting at?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I always wondered if you could run a RussK Idle config with the AC on and get the AC difference in idle compared to the non AC Base Running Airflow and use that figure in the AC adjustment cells....But I took my AC out.

I'm not sure it should come all the way down to idle until you get to the Idle MPH to enable Idle. Even stock cars don't coast at idle. What is yours coasting at?
    it coast right above idle but it searches, not hangs before it drops. The idle searches but it drops when I stop. It hangs about 1000-1200 coasting

Sometimes when I back out of the driveway the rpms just drop and it dies. I can restart it and keept it running then it acts ok. I don't understand why it just dies when rolling back.

here is a scan log, about frame 950 I turned the AC on for a little while but turned ot off later
    Last edited by printmanjackson; 09-18-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsuperdave View Post
    yes. i moved mine from the MAF, using the stock IAT sensor that came on my '00, and put it down below where the AIR pump was, poking it out the bottom to get airflow. i've drove in the rain and haven't had any problems with it either. hot starts are a thing of the past now
    Good idea, I switched to a LS6 maf and have the MAF right in front of the TB and I get constat 100+ temps, I am going to move it to the front of the vararam tomorrow. Never thought about this.
    2015 Yukon SLT 5.3

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you have a car that has the TC active at clutch-in for a manual (and really all autos), I use it for rolling idle with F-bodies. Make a histo using the TC table and log MPH. At clutch-in, dips will populate the 400 RPM column with vehicle speed so that you know where to add airflow in the TC table.
    Can this be used to fix a rapid idle issue?
    When my car warms up the idle hangs at about 1500 rpms when I come to a stop and push in the clutch. After about 30 seconds it drops to normal.
    I cant stand this, how to fix? custom os speed density tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    Can this be used to fix a rapid idle issue?
    When my car warms up the idle hangs at about 1500 rpms when I come to a stop and push in the clutch. After about 30 seconds it drops to normal.
    I cant stand this, how to fix? custom os speed density tuning.
    re-do idle airlfow tuning if the issue continues at stop for a few seconds and then settles out.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

re-do idle airlfow tuning if the issue continues at stop for a few seconds and then settles out.
    ^^^ this is what fixed mine. I figured out what my problem was when I realized mine was stalling when the clutch was in.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds good... how do I do that?
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-21-2010 at 01:34 PM.

turn off LTIT and run the RussK's Idle Scan from a cold engine.

If your having an idle problem with the clutch "in" then it's probably your idle airflow.

If your having an idle problem with the clutch "out" then it's probably TC or TF.

Too much air and it hangs, not enough and it stalls. This is what it did on mine.
    Last edited by printmanjackson; 09-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    runs fine when its cold it when it get to operating temp that it has the issue

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

Is this the throttle follower airflow decay vs speed in nuetral?

Throttle Follower Airflow Decay vs. Speed (In Neutral): The decay value is the rate at which the IAC motor closes when the throttle is closed and the selector is in Park or Neutral. These values are subtracted from the current IAC Airflow value every 12.5 ms, hence higher numbers mean faster decay.

So in order to get it to idle down quicker I increase the number by intervals of 10% until I'm happy with it?
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.

you probably have tooo much air to begin with. Have you posted up your tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Well I see the decay delay being 3.0 tapering down to .8
    So maybe I will start there and see what happens. From there I'll go to the decay in gear and in neutral, although with a 6 speed I'm not sure if the neutral one matters?

I'll keep the files seperate so I can set it back to where it is at anytime.

Advanced Tuner
    would using the STIT as the plot work wel do you think?
    Last edited by Wnts2Go10O; 09-26-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O View Post
    would using the STIT as the plot work wel do you think?
    If the TC is active, the STIT's are generally not. Just log MPH and the regular dips will populate the 400 RPM column. Drive around and do it a lot at different speeds. When you look at the histo you can view counts to see what MPH it's worse at. Know that (and obviously the logged MPH) then you know where to pad the table.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure but I might have a few issue working at the same time on this idle hang.
    It might be physical as well, I need to check out the cruise control servo and throttle cable and stuff. It seems like there are a few chararcteritsics to it when it hangs. If I blip the thtottle I can get it to come down off of one level of the hang up and then its at the 1500 rpm hang for about 5 seconds then it drops to normal idle.