Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idle, Throttle Follower, and Throttle Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    Not sure but I might have a few issue working at the same time on this idle hang.
    It might be physical as well, I need to check out the cruise control servo and throttle cable and stuff. It seems like there are a few chararcteritsics to it when it hangs. If I blip the thtottle I can get it to come down off of one level of the hang up and then its at the 1500 rpm hang for about 5 seconds then it drops to normal idle.
    is your idle hanging while the car is still or is it hanging while rolling? If it's hanging while rolling, is the clutch in or out?
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Advanced Tuner
    All of the above. It seems to hange if I dont push the clutch in all the way while I'm shifting. It hangs while I'm rolling to a stop with the throttle at 0%.

really need to figure out the problem individually I think.. specialy the physical cable and cc unit.

anyway to get rid of the cruise control system, it doesn't work anyway

included my tune file and scan file. First part of the scan is a WOT run in 2nd gear. Rest of it is normal driving
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.

All of the above. It seems to hange if I dont push the clutch in all the way while I'm shifting. It hangs while I'm rolling to a stop with the throttle at 0%.

really need to figure out the problem individually I think.. specialy the physical cable and cc unit.

included my tune file and scan file. First part of the scan is a WOT run in 2nd gear. Rest of it is normal driving
    so it does NOT hang with the clutch pushed in?

if you're rolling to a stop, do you have the clutch pushed all the way in when it's hanging? or do you put it in netural and coast when the idle hangs?

it's important to understand exactly when it's hanging. hanging idle is usually too much air and stalling is not enough. it could be in the RAF, TC or TF.

hope this helps

can't open your file, you must be using the new beta version.
    Last edited by printmanjackson; 09-27-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: can't open file
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

No mystery here; you need to do idle airflow tuning. I seriously doubt you need 13.5g at hot idle. That's right out of your idle airflow table.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    two levels of the hang.

dont push clutch all the way to foor and it hangs at what ever rpm your at this is while up shifting and down shifting

when you get by that hang then it hangs at 1500 rpms while the car is rolling to a stop clutch in working through the gears or if your crusing at what ever speed and push in the clutch it was hang 1500 before going to idle..

I adjusted the base running airflow table already and it helped with things buy though is I need to adjust the throttle follower decay delay?

the ve needs work as well, the car certainly isnt dialed in yet

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No mystery here; you need to do idle airflow tuning. I seriously doubt you need 13.5g at hot idle. That's right out of your idle airflow table.
    Sorry Frost you got in before I finished typing.

whats should those values normally be?

I have no idea; I haven't logged your car.... what does it WANT for those values? Likely almost half of that...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    OK. I did a little ajdusting to that table but need to do some more then how does that table control things? By adding air or fuel or does adding air add fuel by function/default of the rest ?

*********** Sorry for that last questions.. duh.. just need to read the table explanation when you highlight it.... new toy.. sorry
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-27-2010 at 01:55 PM.

set up a histo for desired idle airflow, that should get you closer than just guessing
    '02 Corvette

Advanced Tuner
    idle cracker airflow and idle desired airlfow are both in red so its an unsupporetd perameter, how do I make a histo to track it then?

idle cracker airflow and idle desired airlfow are both in red so its an unsupporetd perameter, how do I make a histo to track it then?
    make sure the PID in your primary table?
    '02 Corvette

Advanced Tuner
    I'm using custom os and 2.23, not sure if this has anyhing to do with i?

Advanced Tuner
    Question... should I wait to mess with the main ve table until I get the idle airflow table perfect?

I would tune ve first, then idle tune, then maf
    '02 Corvette

If you do it that way you will need to revisit the idle again after MAF changes
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    getting a few things worked out or at least know what the issues are.

The throttle cable does have issues coming from the servo but its hang is easy to realize. Need to get rid of the cruise control altogether as it doesn't work anyway and run a new cable to fix that issue.. not going to drop big money on a new servo if they even make one.

the idle airflow table is where I am doing the work .. looking at ect and making adjustments from there... my target stoich is 14.4... we have 10% alc in the gas out here.

WOT seems to be the easiest to tune for so I am not even doing it right now, all my work is at 1200-2000 rpms.

I need to go back through the injector tables and make sure they are setup correctly, I did not build this tune, it was paid for.

Idle airflow and fuel mixture are separate entities.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    At what point does the computer tell it to use the VE table?

thx for all your help Frost

That's adjusted in the Dynamic Airflow tab.

Search for, download and run the RussK idle config. That will set your RAF. Make sure your MAF and VE are tuned first.

Advanced Tuner
    Well its already in SD right now. I do have a histo that shows idle airflow- desired airflow that came with 2.23 and the 1 bar custom os. Is that telling me what I need to know?
    It seems to coincide with what frost had said earlier about the values at 190* wanting to be half of what they are set at.

I still have a damn throttle cable issue as well, its killing me.