Thread: Turner is driving me nuts over my fans on 05 GTO

Potential Tuner

Turner is driving me nuts over my fans on 05 GTO

Hello all,

I have a 05 GTO with a Procharger. I installed it in OCT and it was tuned at that time. Ever since it got warm, my AC is running hot at idle. I first checked the freon, it's right at 1.8 lb where it should be. I have since noticed that the fans no longer seem to come on the high setting. I have spoken several times with my turner and he insists that they are set up properly. It looks to me that he has them set on a one fan system and he can see that the fans are running 100% on the TECh II. He also kept telling me that the fans are a pulse type and if set at 100% they are running at full blast.

Well according to my research, the fans run on a multistage three relay setup and as the temp rises, the number 2 and 3 relays switch and the system goes from sending 12v to both fans and then sends 12v to each fan. This effectivly doubles the speed of both fans. Am I correct? If so what should the fans settings look like so I can show him?

I am running a 160 stat and using the fans included with the Procharger kit.

Thanks in advance

The turner has HP I don't so screen shots please.
    Last edited by ducaiti999; 06-11-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    tuner not turner? LOL

Anyways, I dont know about you're car, but my vettes come with a single fan that is controlled by % vs ECT (however its worth mentioning that there are MORE than a bunch of tables that control the fan that HPTuners do not show - from my own research there is a fan vs IAT2, and a fan vs RPM as well).

Now saying that, if you dont find a solution for the AC running hot, there are OTHER parameters in the tune that could be changed to make the AC work when the AC pressure rises (been there done that). Some also reduce the amount of refrigerant which they say seems to help.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes the GTO fans are switched with relays and are either on or off each: lo fan and hi fan combination.

Lo generally comes on at about 210 and hi about 225 stock.

Tuner in Training
    Post the tune.

also check the wires from the engine harness to the fan harness, especially the main power ones, they often corrode and/or degrade due to heat and the poor quality connector used. I had a problem where only my high speed fans would work and the low speed had nothing.
    I count sheep in hex...

Not sure if the Goat's fan connectors are the same but the C6 fan connector is prone to burning up. the middle pin (ground) does not make good contact and heats up.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    I have a procharged gto and SPAL fans and I haven't had a problem with the hot GA temps yet. But another local goat owner had an 04 with this problem and we think the fans were getting weak.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replys. I have rewired the connector already and I think the problem is that at some point the tune was switched to run one fan. We are checking it out tonight. I'll get back with results.

holy crap Bill, that middle pin is toast, good to know

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header