Thread: sometimes car wont downshift...why?

Tuner in Training douglasmelter's Avatar

sometimes car wont downshift...why?

one out of every ten times i floor my car (at same speeds and conditions) the tranny wont downshift. ill enter pe mode so the car accelerates but the tranny wont leave 2nd although im well within the rpm and speed downshift areas. im guessing this is the cars computer protecting the tranny from something like temp or abuse but this needs to stop as it loves happening when i wanna race. where do i look in my tuning and what do i adjust? if it helps im driving a 2000 grand prix gtp...ive adjusted my shift points but i dont know too much more about tranny tuning

Advanced Tuner
    have your checked your downshift speed tables in the transmission tab ?
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. Post you tune too if you get the chance.. I was looking at a 2->1 inhibit value the other day that might this happen in certain years regardless of what you set the current visible shift point tables/values to.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Potential Tuner
    that is also one of the ways that trans shows wear, delayed downshifts.
    but definitely check settings obviously.