Thread: Need to know a couple things

Tuner in Training

Need to know a couple things

I'm about to order MPVI std and need to know a couple things that arent clear on the website. I've got a LS1 in a BMW, so a vin number is not available to license, so does it pull a vin right off the ECU? Once you do license a single vehicle do you have the ability to change the tune as often as you want without additional credits?

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    just plug it in, read the tune and license it. it will have a vin in the pcm from the car the pcm is out of or been flashed before with. you will only need additional creits for a custom operating system (2,3bar etc.)

Tuner in Training
    I dont have a MAF sensor and wanted to run it SD (1 bar, N/A). Will there be a base map or do you start from scratch?

thanks again

Tuner in Training
    you will need extra credits to run 1 bar enhanced (keeps dual timing tables and a few other things) but this isnt necessary. depending on whats already in your pcm, you will have to fail the maf to get into sd and start tuning, but the car will run so its not like youre starting from scratch.

Tuner in Training
    What about computers that are brand new from GM and have no VIN assigned yet? I searched around and can't find anything.
    I have an E-40 that was a replacement for a 6 speed 2006 GTO,(LS2), and the vin block shows funky symbols. I have the computer in a 94 RX-7, so it can't exactly read a VIN. How do I work around that? I can't read the VCM to write to it right now as it stands - but I can scan it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    YOu need to have the pcm flashed with valid information so our software knows what pcm it is and how to license it ie is it a 2006 GTO or is it a 2006 Holden sedan. Our software uses not only the vin but also the operating system to determine this, if its a new operating system that we've never seen and the vin is not valid our software has no way of knowing what pcm it is or what vehicle to try to read it out as.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    So I can change the VIN in the software - I have a vin from a 2006 GTO with a 6 speed - but I didn't it since it beeped and said invalid VIN/OS match - and it showed no OS. I'm taking it by the dealer to see what they can find - seems like its not loaded. I can scan it fine - everything I'd expect to see is there in the main page, but nothing on the VCM controls page - which would seem to match with it not knowing what its reading.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You can't set a vin number when the pcm has none, you need to have the pcm flashed with valid vin/os pair via tech 2.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I wanted to follow up for others reading this in the future - thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Bill. Computer was essentially blank- took it to the GM dealer, gave them a '06 6 speed GTO VIN and they flashed the OS onto the computer. Works exactly as advertised now. Factor that into your cost when ordering a computer - 1 hr is the shop rate.