Thread: Q about LS2 cable support, vehicle selection

Potential Tuner

Q about LS2 cable support, vehicle selection

I have v1.7 that I have been using quite happily with my '99 Z28 for some time now. However, an opportunity has presented itself whereby I may be acquiring an '05 GTO in the near future. I'm not here to nag about the v2.0 drop date, but I do have a question about cable compatibility. When v2.0 drops (and I receive the update), will the 1.x cable work on an LS2 GTO? I read a thread that indicates that the 1.x cable works OK with the v2.0 software on LS1/6 vehicles, but I haven't seen anything about whether or not a 1.x cable will physically plug into, is electrically compatible, or understands the communications protocols on the LS2 diagnostic port.

So... Can I use my v1.x cable on an LS2 car, or will I need to purchase a new cable?

Sorry if this is a redundant question - I searched, but could not find a definitive answer.

Also, when I bought my copy, I bought the license for '99 and '00 F-bodies. Is it possible to "trade in" one of those licenses for a different vehicle (ie: '05 GTO) or would I need to purchase a third vehicle license?

Thanks!

-Brian

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: Q about LS2 cable support, vehicle selection

you will need the new hardware to scan & tune ls2 vehicles
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

Blast. Well, it doesn't surprise me, but I was hoping... :P Has anyone leaked what the pricing is going to look like for the new cable?

And any ideas on "trading in" one vehicle type for another (vice buying a 3rd license)?

In other words, is there/will there be any way to convert from LS1 support to LS2 support without dropping $350-400 on software and hardware upgrades? ???

Advanced Tuner

Noone will know until pricing details are announced. These guys are very good at keeping details secret until they are ready to release the information.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70
    Noone will know until pricing details are announced. These guys are very good at keeping details secret until they are ready to release the information.
    and the ones that have been treated well tend to not pry to much ;D
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

LOL!! Yeah, are these guys former NSA spooks?? Nah, I know what it's like on the business side of things, especially in an extremely narrow market like this. Which is why I specifically am not pumping for a release date. The version I have works just fine with the car I have - I'll worry about v2.0 if/when I buy the GTO.

As for my cost estimate of $350-400, I'm basing that amount on the current pricing for the EIO (which I have) and a third vehicle license. I'm sure those numbers will change one way or the other, but since current pricing is the only info I have to go on, I have to assume for the moment that the v2.0 stuff will be similarly priced. If it's less, then I will be a happy camper. If it's more, well... Ouch. :-/

Tuner in Training

I heard a little whisper that the LS2 stuff is going to cost about 2 grand, geez I hope it's just a rumour!

Quote Originally Posted by 346na
    I heard a little whisper that the LS2 stuff is going to cost about 2 grand, geez I hope it's just a rumour!
    That would be the unlimited tunershop pricing for a few vehicle types

I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners

That would be the unlimited tunershop pricing for a few vehicle types
    I think i like the sound of that