Thread: Sneak peek at HPT hardware development.

Senior Tuner

Sneak peek at HPT hardware development.

As you all know we are now partnering with the MSD/Superchips group.
    With that in mind some people have been asking about upcoming hardware options. The answer is yes, we have been VERY busy over the last year in the hardware/software design department.

Before the partnership HPT had planned on releasing not one, but TWO of its own internally designed hand helds. One was a small personal version with 6mb of onboard memory for flashing, logging, EIO, USB pass through mode, etc. Here is a pic of it.

Does it work?? You bet! This base design was released to our customers in a temporary off the shelf case as the beta LS2 hardware

Our second design was a larger version that had more features than you could shake a stick at. Here is a pic with the base display installed.

Since the partnership has taken place we no longer have the need for our own hand helds. With as many years as these guys have in hand held design and production, there is no need to duplicate products. Their new Flashpaq unit is a dynamite device

Since I had to go back and re-design a few things to support the early Ford EEC and Dodge SCI protocols, we are a few weeks behind in releasing our new USB interface. BTW, all of our new hardware is field updatable so you are assured to stay current on any new firmware updates.

Projected release date is shortly after SEMA.

- Ken

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: Sneak peek at HPT hardware development.

;D
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

holy schnikeys batman....

cant wait
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner

While our production units won't have the display or full hand held functionality (SC will cover that arena) we can do a lot of other things

This post was just to let you guys know that we are not asleep at the wheel over here

Ken

Advanced Tuner

SWEET!

I am guessing you do not get ALL the functionality\options of laptop and dongle tuning, which we are using now?

2007 CTS-V LS2

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SideStep
    SWEET!

I am guessing you do not get ALL the functionality\options of laptop and dongle tuning, which we are using now?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The small personal version IS one of our new inline dongles without the LCD or keypad. It was designed as scalable hardware that could be configured any number of ways. It can have an LCD and Keypad or just be an inline pass through device, or ALL of the above. We will not be making the full blown hand held version. That will be taken care of by SC.

What we will have is two USB models. The standard interface only, and the upgraded version. The upgraded version will have EIO and self logging capabilty. Both versions will work for GM/Ford/Dodge. Neither unit will have the LCD. Thats an added hardware expense just to replace status LED's. Not much sense in that.

This is Superchips new hand held:
    http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...89&msg=%2B

How all these things "play together", and what options you have will be announced at SEMA.

Ken

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    It can have an LCD and Keypad or just be an inline pass through device, or ALL of the above.
    That answers my question right there...

Thanks,
    2007 CTS-V LS2

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

with the release of the two new usb units are you going to discontinue making the serial port models?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner

Hmm.. nice stuff..

too bad handhelds are the lose imho.. but some people love them. I had a hypertech back when it was the only thing for the v6 camaros.. I wanted to destroy it..

I will stick to my laptop/cable
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Senior Tuner

Wow, and inside look at HPTuners Skunkworks division. That would have been killer, not to say what is coming will not be. I am sure it will be, from what I can gather.

The new hardware is not a handheld unit to replace the laptop version, it is to complement the laptop software/hardware. I think of it as an enhanced stand alone tuning tool, much better than the other guys setup. Seems like the market is heading in that direction, to which HPT is leading. ;D

Cool, I prefer the old laptop way though.
    1982 GMC S15 5.3 4L80e
    1954 Corvette ls swap in progress

Tuner in Training

If I'm getting the hints correctly, the major tuning will still be done on a stand-alone(laptop) computer, we upload the new handheld with our custom file from our laptop, program our vechicle, and use the handheld or laptop for datalogging. This would be a great improvement, as we would have the option of not having a laptop running when doing the road testing. IMO :

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone at HPT care to share any details on how the new "upgraded USB" hardware is progressing? SEMA's long since gone and I haven't heard much since the fall. I'm just curious, not trying to be a PITA. Could this be part of the delay?

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

There is already a huge thred in this very forum that is extremly hard to mis: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2938
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. I was hoping for a little insight into the upgraded hardware with self-logging capabilities (as it, specifically, has not been discussed since SEMA) . I ASSume from your reply that both hardware versions will be out at the same time. (I'm not going to ask 'when' as I know the answer already.)