Thread: 4t40e 2000malibu tuning help

Potential Tuner

4t40e 2000malibu tuning help

i bought a 2000 malibu cheap, it had a bad(but running) motor. i picked up a rolled 2004 montana for $300. i used the 3.4 out of the van and put it in the malibu. i could never get it to run right so i bought vcm suite. long story short both vehicles had a bad maf.

now that i have the engine sorted out i need help with the tranny.
    first off i need an understanding of the tranny logic, it is really hard to tune something you have only know basic therory. eg there is no holding pressure table i know at least the computer dosent "divine" a holding pressure(my main issue) how does it come up with that. etc etc

the initial problem i have had is the tranny will slip at moderate throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, the computer catches this and clamps down on pressure, about a second later it will slip again and repeats the cycle. second 1-2 shifts at wot are doggy and it bothers me that it will burn up clutches. if i lock the force motor to 500ma it don't slip and shifts very hard at light throttle and quite nicely at wot.

then i started by lowering the force motor amperage by 10% below 20psi and blended it in with the rest. this helped but shifts were still sluggish. i upped shift pressures by 15% for 1-2 and it shifted better. after some driving around the tranny started to chatter, but in 1st gear moderate throttle. i took a log and line pressure (%?) is at 9 when it does this(engine torque around 110 ft.lbs) shouldnt the line pressure be quit a bit higher than that. how does the computer come up with the holding pressures? please edumacate me here

Tuner
    There is a shift pressure under the transmision section in shift properties. there is a normal and performance shit pressure table. you can adjust the over all presure higher. if you increace it it will shift harsher. If you dont have that table lowering the force motor table ma will help it out. I dont think it will solve your issue though but only hide it some. if its slipping then you have a mechanicl issue. presure is about right at 9psi at 110fts. scann shift times from each shift on teh scanner and compare it to you shift time table. if there way off you have a mechanical issue and its time for a rebuild.
    96 l67 CAVALIER. PT76GTQ TURBO AND IC. PB: 10.62@138MPH ON 19PSI. DYNOED 502WHP AND 415FTLBS OF TORQUE.