Thread: E85 fuel economy

Potential Tuner

E85 fuel economy

I just switched to E85 and my fuel economy went from 28 to 18. Has anybody done any tuning to get better economy with E85?

Tuner in Training
    The expected economy would be about 20 if you were getting 28 before. The extra power is probably just making you put your foot down a bit more than usual lol.

Tuner in Training
    You can try bumping up timing in the areas that you cruise around in. You can add quite a bit with e85 and that will help some. Its inevitable that you will lose fuel economy when using e85 because it requires ~30% more fuel than gasoline.

Advanced Tuner
    in my recient testing there seems to be around 27% difference between ULP and E85

Potential Tuner
    I've been playing with adding a few degrees of timing and it seems to run a little better, I don't know yet if it helps economy I will have to fill it up and check mileage.

You can lower the compression of the engine as well to bump up the fuel economy and bring back the spark to a more reasonable level. I've seen some Grand Prix guys max timing out in cruising at 50* with no KR.

Shave the heads a bit and dial back the timing to the 40's and it will increase power and economy. If you get the combination of compression, spark, and tune right you can actually gain a couple MPG over stock.

Yeah it is expensive and hard work but - HEY - You're running E85!
    HAI, 180* T-stat, Autolite 104's, NorthStar, Gen V, 1.8 SLP Rockers, SLP Ported Headers, Custom 3" Downpipe w/high flo cat, Dynomax Catback Exhaust, DHP PCM, Fuzzy Dice Mod.

Tuner in Training
    Running lean cruise helps a bunch.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorizon View Post
    Running lean cruise helps a bunch.
    dont think you can discuss lean cruise on here since it increases NOX emmisions
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

basically you need to know that with e85, you will have approximately 30%~40% less fuel economy...simply based on the fact that it takes 30%~40% more fuel to achieve the same stoich value..
    -Scott -