Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF Ethanol experiment

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I've noticed that with my EVAP connector plugged back in, it is causing my car to hesitate and stumble (never did this with straight E10 pump while it was plugged in). Anyone else noticing anything similar while running the E10/E85 blend? Car was so much happier with the connector pulled... Any ill affects to running the blended fuels and having the LTFT disabled? Or would it just be best to cap the EVAP line and keep it connected?
    I have a feeling it is just going out. My car started doing that and I unplugged the purge valve and it went away.
    09 Cobalt SS/TC

I've noticed that with my EVAP connector plugged back in, it is causing my car to hesitate and stumble (never did this with straight E10 pump while it was plugged in). Anyone else noticing anything similar while running the E10/E85 blend? Car was so much happier with the connector pulled... Any ill affects to running the blended fuels and having the LTFT disabled? Or would it just be best to cap the EVAP line and keep it connected?

No change in mine, I've always felt a slight hesitation/switchover at ~1700 RPM on light accel but it isn't any better or worse. Look at your stft's in the 1500-2000 rpm 30-60% load areas. The closer to zero there the better. Mine are usually a bit negative since the MAF relocate, yours are prob positive.

I would let the ltft's work until you get it dialed in. If you want, cap the solenoid line and leave the line to the back vented.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by quickboat View Post
    Broke I'm about to add some E85 to my next tank to rid myself of the occasional full boost knock. Im running 12.5 degress timing and my trims are pretty good. Any clue on how much E85 I should add to the tank for starters?
    A little over 2.1 gals will get you close to 6:1, or 20%. Expect the ltft's to go positive 2-3%.

Edit: BTW, I still see a few degrees false knock on #4 at midrange loads even at 40% E. I believe it's mostly from my LW flywheel though. See what you find.

Note: Avg MPG's on my commute dropped from 30.5 down to 28.6 now FWIW. No great change.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
    I have a feeling it is just going out. My car started doing that and I unplugged the purge valve and it went away.
    Yea, I have a feeling that's the case and I'm not about to go to the stealership to have it replaced and let them abuse my car during their "Test drive"...

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    No change in mine, I've always felt a slight hesitation/switchover at ~1700 RPM on light accel but it isn't any better or worse. Look at your stft's in the 1500-2000 rpm 30-60% load areas. The closer to zero there the better. Mine are usually a bit negative since the MAF relocate, yours are prob positive.

I would let the ltft's work until you get it dialed in. If you want, cap the solenoid line and leave the line to the back vented.
    STFT's in the 1500-2k range between 30-60% loads are either zero, or slightly negative (-2 being the lowest). One single cell (1240 rpm / 50% load) is 0.45. I think I'm going to just cap the line and leave it plugged in. Should be golden then, yeah?

Note: Avg MPG's on my commute dropped from 30.5 down to 28.6 now FWIW. No great change.
    Haha.. Mine went from 30-31 city driving down to 25-26. Can't keep my foot out of it

I got 28.4 @ 75mph to Kansas City today.

I can deal with that

Thanks for the link, I don't mind the ~$15 for the tester, but they want over $10 to ship it one state north. I'll keep it in mind though.
    Summit has the same piece and it's $4.99 to ship.
    2007 TBSS AWD 1SS - miles of Pro Classic Hose!
    ~War Machine~
    LEP 370 (10.74:1cr), ARP where possible
    Edelbrock Pro-Flow XT intake with jeTTT Stage 4" CAI
    Fast Motorsports jeTTT cam
    1 7/8" Kooks w/ cats, Magnaflow catback
    FLT Max Performance Level VII, Yank PTB3200, Cat power Flex Plate, LC32 Driveshaft safety loop

I thought I'd found the wall tonight, wrapped it up in 3rd and it fell on it's face up top. reviewing the log though, I think my MAF got wet after driving through a torrential downpour. Saw a spike to 14000hz when it shut down and set an immature MAF freq code.

Roads were dry where I hit it but it probably condensed on the MAF when I sucked it out of the intercooler. Remember my MAF is right ahead of the tb. Filter looked dry when I got home but it prob came in under the hood anyway and got sucked through the turbo as vapor and condensed in the IC.

Tests on hold as I put 2 gals of E10 back in before I reviewed the log. I'm back to ~35% by my calcs. I'm going to run this tank dry before I adjust the ratio again so I can be sure where I am.

Upped the mid to high rpm & load timing a few more degrees after today, no KR yet. I won't go any higher than 23* WOT to spare the rod bearings. I was told the limit on them is around 25* on another forum. Only did a few short pulls tonight. Still working on the correction table from idle to light cruise.

This thing is a beast! Seeing 300% air load on a 3rd gear throttle stab.

I found LNF owner heaven while filling up my motorcycle today. Place must have a blender pump there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
    I found LNF owner heaven while filling up my motorcycle today. Place must have a blender pump there or something.

Was this in lawrence?

Yep,that's a blender pump. 1 tank for e85 and blends the e85 and the lowest octane gas they have. We've got 4 (I think) stations around Wichita with them. The rest just offer e10-e85...

Side note,see the little sticker,far right. Says "minimum 70% Ethanol"? That's why you need an ethanol tester at all times...
    Last edited by 96sunfire; 07-30-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I thought I'd found the wall tonight, wrapped it up in 3rd and it fell on it's face up top. reviewing the log though, I think my MAF got wet after driving through a torrential downpour. Saw a spike to 14000hz when it shut down and set an immature MAF freq code.

Roads were dry where I hit it but it probably condensed on the MAF when I sucked it out of the intercooler. Remember my MAF is right ahead of the tb. Filter looked dry when I got home but it prob came in under the hood anyway and got sucked through the turbo as vapor and condensed in the IC.

Tests on hold as I put 2 gals of E10 back in before I reviewed the log. I'm back to ~35% by my calcs. I'm going to run this tank dry before I adjust the ratio again so I can be sure where I am.
    Does this happen very often IAB?

Upped the mid to high rpm & load timing a few more degrees after today, no KR yet. I won't go any higher than 23* WOT to spare the rod bearings. I was told the limit on them is around 25* on another forum. Only did a few short pulls tonight. Still working on the correction table from idle to light cruise.

This thing is a beast! Seeing 300% air load on a 3rd gear throttle stab.
    That's crazy IAB... Weren't you only seeing 300+ % loads in the past via the pill mod? Wish I could so some more testing and adding more timing but this god forsaken rain and this MF'ing EVAP induced bog I'm getting during cruise and in between shifts are driving me nuts.

Do want...

Quote Originally Posted by 96sunfire View Post

Side note,see the little sticker,far right. Says "minimum 70% Ethanol"? That's why you need an ethanol tester at all times...
    Wouldn't that be more appropriate for those running really aggressive timing maps and DAL's using more than a 40% mix?

I got 28.4 @ 75mph to Kansas City today.

I can deal with that
    Is that doing the math by hand, or what the dash says?

So a couple things, reference the attached screen shot of a pull.

1.) I'm running 1:1 (47.5%) right now on my still mechanically stock sedan. At 6k I'm seeing injector time of 5.3ms with PE @ 90. 22.5* peak right now and no knock. Cooler temps on this run, but even yesterday when it was hot again no knock. At this point I don't think the timing is gaining me much. Adding 1 degree only netted me like .1-.05 and thats not enough to say its doing more/less or if its just a statistical thing. I figure why keep feeding it timing and risk other bad things.

2.) To run that 47.5% I had to crank my MAF freqs + 11% on top of the 6% I already had.

3.) Notice how high my MAF and air loads are now. That data is basically useless now unless you multiply my -17% in your head looking at it While adjusting for all the E is nice doing it with the MAF frequency is less than optimal I'd say. We already knew that though.

4.) Going to keep pulling PE until it starts to knock a little again in heat. At that point I'm going to look at my injector time. I have a gut feeling I can get away with 100% E85 on a mechanically stock car, but time (no pun intended) will tell. If not 100% damn near. More than anything it would be nice to just pull up to an E85 pump and fill up and not swipe my card twice.

I have no reason for wanting to run 100% other than I like how the car feels with this tune, and its pretty much "fast enough" for my daily driving needs. Almost thinking about selling all the boltons I bought and calling it a day.

I saw 5.6 ms on #1 at 6k again this morning on 35% E, lots of timing and a MAF freq skew of 10% total showing over 36 MAF lb/min & 305% load when it broke loose a bit in third. 70* ambient, 85* IAT2's. I'll try 40% again next week. Got my high load mid rpm timing up so far saw a degree of KR on #3 and 2.1 on #4 when I punched it.

Ya, I know the load & flows are skewed, but it rocks.

Does this happen very often IAB?

That's crazy IAB... Weren't you only seeing 300+ % loads in the past via the pill mod? Wish I could so some more testing and adding more timing but this god forsaken rain and this MF'ing EVAP induced bog I'm getting during cruise and in between shifts are driving me nuts.
    Only the second time I remember. First was with the Hahn but it sucked water through the foglight hole. It was really a torrential downpour & I was stuck in a semi's spray for miles.

Ya, I saw 300% before with the Hahn on there, but it skewed the fuel trims +12%, the MAF relocate skewed them -7% and with the 35% E I'm at +3% compared to stock on the mafless Dejon SRI & MAF relocate.

snip...
    I have no reason for wanting to run 100% other than I like how the car feels with this tune, and its pretty much "fast enough" for my daily driving needs. Almost thinking about selling all the boltons I bought and calling it a day.

ZZP made 290~300 hp on E85 before running out of fuel so stock it should be close. Good luck!

Sorry had my mouse in the wrong place, but 21.5-22.5* 1-2-3 quick pull (sorry, I shifted lazy because it was a toll booth exit) and no knock @ PE .93 ... dare I go higher? 118F IAT2 by the end of that 1-2-3.

That lowered injector to 5.1. So yah IAB, 100% E85 on my next fill and we'll see what happens. I see no reason why a car with no "VE mods" like mine can't run 100%. I also don't know what PE ZZP tried to run at or any of those things. I'm one of those people who gotta do it for themselves anyway.

My only point on the skewed air loads was that on my next tune I will be shifting them all up. I don't like losing the map resolution.