Thread: Help!!! Conection Prob To Ecm

Tuner in Training

Help!!! Conection Prob To Ecm

Need Help Immediatly, My Friend Has A Gto E40 Comp In His Street Rod With Ls2 Engine. He Just Went To Down Load A File From His Computer Memory Bin Files Into The Ecm And Noticed He Selected Wrong File From A Clients Corvette E38 Comp, After It Completed The Down Load, He Went To Reconnect And Now It Says Cannot Find Vcm. Tried Turning Everthing Off Reconnecting,still Nothing. How Do We Fix ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sounds like he fried the pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Ouch, that hurts. I guess I be looking for a pcm tomorrow... Will that lock up the pcm e38 vs e40 ? does the program write not stop you if it is not the correct pcm for the file?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No idea, don't think we've ever tested writing an E38 file into an E40 pcm.

Potential Tuner

New E40 PCM in cant program? invalid vin os pair error

I received this error when trying to load a calibration write file. I bought a new PCM from GM and I'm getting this error message "invalid vin os pair error" new pcm‏. Is it possible to program a "brand new pcm" with HP Tuner ? or does it have to start with a download from a GM dealer to be able to work again? Maybe I should look for a used one if this is the case? I have sent the files asked for to support but was hoping for a sonner response if it is to do with the new PCM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    BTW I just talked to our head engineer and its impossible to write an E38 file to an E40 pcm as the software checks to make sure they are using the same hardware before it does the write, so I have no idea what you did but what was stated is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblockgq View Post
    I received this error when trying to load a calibration write file. I bought a new PCM from GM and I'm getting this error message "invalid vin os pair error" new pcm‏. Is it possible to program a "brand new pcm" with HP Tuner ? or does it have to start with a download from a GM dealer to be able to work again? Maybe I should look for a used one if this is the case? I have sent the files asked for to support but was hoping for a sonner response if it is to do with the new PCM.
    You will need the dealer or someone with a TechII to flash a stock tune for your correct vin/os before HPTuners will talk to it since it uses that information to determine what it is actually talking to
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    BTW I just talked to our head engineer and its impossible to write an E38 file to an E40 pcm as the software checks to make sure they are using the same hardware before it does the write, so I have no idea what you did but what was stated is not possible.
    Well Bill, I'm not sure what to tell you, I guess all the stars where aligned that night because the fill was from a 2005 Corvette LS2 into my 2006 GTO LS2 PCM. I clicked the file and was one off, committed to a write entire, it started then I read the file name on the load and it was "Mikes 2005 Vett" uh! oh! the file loaded as I did not want to disrupt it and it checked, that was the last time I talked to the PCM. Immediately after I pulled up the correct file and went to rewrite and I got an error unable to find check plug so on.. If the engineer would like the PCM to try and recover to see what happen you are welcome to it. If you would like a nice vented coffee cup coaster I have one, lol.
    Last edited by Bigblockgq; 07-22-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by umrjmac View Post
    You will need the dealer or someone with a TechII to flash a stock tune for your correct vin/os before HPTuners will talk to it since it uses that information to determine what it is actually talking to
    Thank you for the information. I'm in the process of getting a re program to the original configuration before I re load my tune file.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblockgq View Post
    Well Bill, I'm not sure what to tell you, I guess all the stars where aligned that night because the fill was from a 2005 Corvette LS2 into my 2006 GTO LS2 PCM. I clicked the file and was one off, committed to a write entire, it started then I read the file name on the load and it was "Mikes 2005 Vett" uh! oh! the file loaded as I did not want to disrupt it and it checked, that was the last time I talked to the PCM. Immediately after I pulled up the correct file and went to rewrite and I got an error unable to find check plug so on.. If the engineer would like the PCM to try and recover to see what happen you are welcome to it. If you would like a nice vented coffee cup coaster I have one, lol.

05 Corvette is an E40 pcm not E38.

Potential Tuner
    05 Corvette is an E40 pcm not E38.
    I stand corrected then, I thought the 05 LS2 vettes used a E-38. Either way the PCM is not responding so something bad happened. I will see if I move forward after the factory setting are back in my new PCM. Thanks for the information, I will look deeper..

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Disconnect battery for 10 minutes then try writing his stock GTO file back to the pcm.

Potential Tuner
    Disconnect battery for 10 minutes then try writing his stock GTO file back to the pcm.
    Its done no response. Question for you, can a vette e40 program be used in a gto e40? do you think that the program and now that it is loaded is the cause of possible melt down.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No idea but its not advised thats for sure. If you cannot reestablish comms via the the vehicle you might want to try a bench harness as a last resort.