Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6L80e flare shift after re-program

Advanced Tuner

6L80e flare shift after re-program

why do the 6l80e's somtimes develope a flare shift after a re-program,, even just a minor change in shift speed or wot change will cause a light throttle flare shift only in D mode,,

2 L99 camaro's

one had a flare 2-3 shift only in D with light throttle (fine in sport mode) , did a tech2 fast re-learn, didnt fix it,, finally left the batt disconnected over night and it was fixed

the other car has a flare on the 4-5 shift (didnt change any of the 4-5 shift parameters), did the tech 2 fast re-learn, disconnected batt over night , still there , only in D(sport mode is fine)

is there some other re-learn/ reset that needs to be done after a flash to get the adapts learned or whaterver is causing the flare shifts
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    why do the 6l80e's somtimes develope a flare shift after a re-program,, even just a minor change in shift speed or wot change will cause a light throttle flare shift only in D mode,,

2 L99 camaro's

one had a flare 2-3 shift only in D with light throttle (fine in sport mode) , did a tech2 fast re-learn, didnt fix it,, finally left the batt disconnected over night and it was fixed

the other car has a flare on the 4-5 shift (didnt change any of the 4-5 shift parameters), did the tech 2 fast re-learn, disconnected batt over night , still there , only in D(sport mode is fine)

is there some other re-learn/ reset that needs to be done after a flash to get the adapts learned or whaterver is causing the flare shifts

Mine was flaring something awful after a re-flash. I just increased line pressures 20psi and it eventually went away after about ten hard runs. I re-flashed about seven days after it went away and it didn't come back. It might go away on its own.

I also got rid of a 2-3 flare by raising pressure. The downside is I also had to introduce more TM to take some of the harshness out of the shift.

Tuner in Training
    i tuned a friends denali and it does the same thing. He did say it did it before the tune, its just more noticable now.

Advanced Tuner
    Mine does it 90% of the time after a re-flash with either software I run. I'm pretty sure something adaptive is getting reset and needs to re-learn.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

I would also love to know if there's a way to fix this. It's not just the L99 Camaro's that do it... I would also say, about 90% of the vehicles with a 6L80 do this 2nd to 3rd flare after you make basic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdythms View Post
    i tuned a friends denali and it does the same thing. He did say it did it before the tune, its just more noticable now.
    Yeah, I have heard the same thing from my customers as well. In fact a lot of times I will notice it on the dyno before I make any changes. It's just a lot more apparent after you do a program on it.

Senior Tuner
    when you remove certain torque management things on the 6l, you have to lower shift times and up the line pressure. i have been fighting this for quite sometime in my 6.2 truck. i have gotten it where it doesn't do it anymore. fluid temps have a lot to do with this. everyone of of these trans tune will be different car to car.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried the trans adapt/trans fast adapt reset in vcm controls.?
    It works every time for me. i have flares sometimes after a trans change as well. it doesn't happen all the time though, but when it does, i just click this 2 buttoms a couple of times each, and the flare goes away.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 09-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Still curious if anybody has found an actual fix to this problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucksTuning View Post
    Still curious if anybody has found an actual fix to this problem.
    I'll look into it.

Senior Tuner
    mine is almost 100% gone. it will flare 100rpm on the 3-4 shift on very light throttle. my thinking is it could also be convertor flare as well. factory setting of it unlocking between shifts

It has to be that the adaptive portion is cleared out. The trim learning seems to be gone even after a write cal and I suspect some other internal airflow tables given the way the car acts at first after restart as well. As you tune on it, the flare seems to lessen, but it's probably due to increase in pressures and decreases in time and it's still present.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    anybody ever figure out anything on this? I have been fighting a 2-3 flare on a 6.2 truck for a couple weeks. finally got rid of it after upping the line pressure 60 psi over stock on the low end (it only does it at light throttle) and giving it a few days to re-learn. Then it was too harsh of a shift, so I backed it off 30 and now it's shifting worse than ever. It's flaring nearly 1200rpm at about 15-20% throttle. should I just tell him to drive it for a few more days? don't want to tear anything up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by t/akid View Post
    anybody ever figure out anything on this? I have been fighting a 2-3 flare on a 6.2 truck for a couple weeks. finally got rid of it after upping the line pressure 60 psi over stock on the low end (it only does it at light throttle) and giving it a few days to re-learn. Then it was too harsh of a shift, so I backed it off 30 and now it's shifting worse than ever. It's flaring nearly 1200rpm at about 15-20% throttle. should I just tell him to drive it for a few more days? don't want to tear anything up.
    The latest Beta has issues. You need to get a GM MDI and clear the adaptives. For some reason the HP stuff is not working correctly.

Depending on when it is flaring, you might need to add oncoming or offgoing clutch pressure for that torque zone. Maybe even more volume.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    The latest Beta has issues. You need to get a GM MDI and clear the adaptives. For some reason the HP stuff is not working correctly.
    Not as far as I know. If you are having an issue though please email support so we can look into it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys, thought I had it beat yesterday. upped the offgoing pressure, reset the adaptives, and did a fast re-learn and it did fine last night, this morning, and at lunch today. just heard back from him this afternoon and he said it started it again. This thing is about to drive me crazy. lol

Tuner in Training
    What does the Flare TqMgt do? Right now it is at the factory setting which is "no throttle". Do I need to change anything there?

Advanced Tuner
    It'd be easier if you post the tune to see what was done.