Thread: '07 Mustang Rev Limiter Problem

'07 Mustang Rev Limiter Problem

I'm having one unusual problem with a 2007 Shelby GT (4.6) Mustang. At wide open throttle in 1st and 2nd gear (Manual Trans), it seems like I'm hitting a rev limiter at 5,500 rpms. I have the rev limiter set at 6400 rpms. When looking back threw the scan, it jumps from 5500 to 6500 at the point I'm seeing the problem. Seems like the clutch is slipping. Is this possible cause? In third and forth gear it pulls right to redline with no problem. Didn't have this problem on the dyno either when doing forth gear pull. What else could cause this problem? Specs are as follows: 2007 Shelby GT (4.6), Paxton 1200 Supercharger at about 12 psi max, 60lb injectors, GT500 pumps, stock Maf in larger housing. I'm attaching my tune and scan to this email. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Problem occurs in scan at 4:30 to 4:45 Range
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Advanced Tuner
    Could definitely be a clutch slip. Kind of odd though that it wouldn't slip from a 2,000rpm pull in 4th gear though.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Kind of odd though that it wouldn't slip from a 2,000rpm pull in 4th gear though.
    Yeah Steve, I'm surprised it doesn't do it in higher gears either. I can see it not doing it down low because the centrifugal Paxton doesn't start making power until high 4K range and makes peak torque between 5,000 and 5,500 rpms. I have the traction control turned off, but could one of those tables still be causing the issue? Or maybe a table base off anticipated acceleration? RTWD, Justin any thoughts?
    Last edited by Modern Muscle; 08-10-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Paul
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Advanced Tuner
    Which Paxton kit is this? Intercooled or not intercooled? - NEVERMIND just read kit contents-

It has the Vortech style air to water intercooler. I think Vortech calls it the Mondo cooler.
    Paul
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

I took a look at the log and can't find anything after 5500 rpm other than what it looks like the throttle pedal being lifted. It might be the framerate of the scanner or I'm just losing my mind but I see ETC being shut after 5500 but the rpms jump another almost 1000 during the shift. I know this sounds obvious but are you sure you aren't just outrunning the factory gauges?

It was clutch slip!

New clutch in. Problem seems to be gone
    Last edited by Modern Muscle; 08-13-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Paul
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno