Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone App

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Just use a 0411 pcm with the flex fuel segment, purchase a flexfuel sensor, then hook up the flexfuel sensor to your fuel line, wire the sensor into the pcm, done! you are rocking E85 or reg gas with no flashing inbetween!
    More info please!!!!!

Currently there are a few windows phones out there. As far as windows tablets, I have heard that there is one in the plans using windows mobile, but who knows how long that may take to come out.

For everyone else - I don't think you understand the complexity of writing the app for an android or iphone. The HPtuners software is currently written with .Net (visual c++ or visual basic more than likely). Neither of those are supported on iphone or android, which means the program has to be written from scratch. Windows mobile can run a slightly modified version of the same program by making a few function changes for things that are supported differently in the mobile platform.

Tuner in Training
    bad thing is that if they make a java front end , they will have to recompile it everytime they update the net code. so its doubling the work >_< , those windows tablet is way expensive. its more efficient to make a carputer ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by rnjmur View Post
    Currently there are a few windows phones out there. As far as windows tablets, I have heard that there is one in the plans using windows mobile, but who knows how long that may take to come out.

For everyone else - I don't think you understand the complexity of writing the app for an android or iphone. The HPtuners software is currently written with .Net (visual c++ or visual basic more than likely). Neither of those are supported on iphone or android, which means the program has to be written from scratch. Windows mobile can run a slightly modified version of the same program by making a few function changes for things that are supported differently in the mobile platform.
    Actually, it wouldn't be that hard. I am a iOS DEV. It is more possible on iOS than anything else. Especailly since the new Xcode 4 is released. It just makes everything simple. Where was this 2 years ago?!?!?! I'm sure people here on HPT with come up with something. I would be very satisfied with a basic scanner with writing capibilities. Just able to switch tune. It would be very neat for us FI guys. But for the mean time. I'm sure it will be here in the future. Hopefully for iOS before anything else(for ease). Let me know if you need me Bill or Keith.
    Last edited by Jtbrewer; 03-20-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    not to mention that the iphone sucks and is a horrible platform for a tuning software anyways..

too slow, too buggy, too behind the curve..
    My sentiments exactly.

I can compile a kernel for my android phone with ftdi usb-serial support and usb host mode (being able to use my usb port with keyboards and other usb devices) right now.. so theres that.. but android itself is a pos as far as making usable programs.. Its the whole java bit that kills it.. Some of my favorite/most powerful programs on my android device are run on the command line (aria2c, unrar).

What _can_ be done is to create a web interface/front end for hpt. Doesn't have to be web based but i think thats the easiest template to base it on.. The web remote control allows users to interface with the scanner and configure options such as log file-save directory, start/stop log... and perhaps the functions seen in the vcm controls section of the program. This would enable external developers to create remote control programs for whatever platform they want.. However, this would also require a car-puter with a wireless network card set to ad-hoc.. Thats a biggie, not too many people would carry thru with that.. So.. not really enough realistic demand for such a feature.. and definately not for things such as the iphone..

Porting to linux would be awesome.. even if it were just a daemon.. leaving the gui work to end users and the like..
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrewer View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't be that hard. I am a iOS DEV. It is more possible on iOS than anything else. Especailly since the new Xcode 4 is released. It just makes everything simple. Where was this 2 years ago?!?!?! I'm sure people here on HPT with come up with something. I would be very satisfied with a basic scanner with writing capibilities. Just able to switch tune. It would be very neat for us FI guys. But for the mean time. I'm sure it will be here in the future. Hopefully for iOS before anything else(for ease). Let me know if you need me Bill or Keith.
    The main problem is the cost and time required to create the program for iOS or android. You have to either learn the android and/or iOS APIs or hire someone to do the programming. You then have to write your own classes to interface with the HPTuners interface. After all that, then you have to test the software and submit it to Apple or Google for approval. It will end up costing quite a bit of money for an application that isn't really going to generate alot of revenue, and probably never even recover the cost of the development in the first place.

Advanced Tuner
    You don't have to submit anything to Google.. Users can sideload apps or whatever they please. Still doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass.

That said.. Windows 8 will support the ARM architecture. Will HPTuners eventually support this? I know FTDI will have drivers out quickly.. so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.. Who knows, there might even be a WOW-arm emulator type of layer as found in x64 releases..
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

Tuner in Training
    Ohh dam an iPad 2 tuning my car will be soo nice to have.
    I'm pretty sure that if it's ever possible to use an iPad to tune, you will be able to use an iPhone tooo, OHHH WOW.
    1999 Chevy S10 Blazer 4dr w/2008 LS3 Corvette 6.2L mated to a t56.

Tuner in Training
    Innovate ot-2 research it.....

Quote Originally Posted by publikdstrbnce View Post
    I have the OT-2 and the app on my iPhone 4. Have not had time to use it much. Going to use it on the Camaro today. Have 140 mile drive today!
    2018 GMC Denali A8 6.2L
    2016 CTS-V
    2016 C7 Z06 A8
    2016 C7 Z06/Z07 A8 vert
    2015 Chevy SS 6.2 LS3 A6
    1996 Impala SS LT1 CAI
    1995 Chevy 1500 5.3 CAI Z06 cam
    1957 Chevy vert

Quote Originally Posted by publikdstrbnce View Post
    See post #10 this thread.
    Check before you consider tuning;
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

I've thought about how cool it would be to have hand held app support for HPT. It would be similar to a Predator/Hypertech/Bullydog tuner that could upload tunes based on the upcoming needs.

I have two tunes for my truck, one for daily driving and another for long trips. It would be really nice to have both tunes on my phone and to have the ability to upload them from the phone. I'm not interested in tuning with the phone. I have a Motorola Droid 2 if I can be of any help beta testing for HPT just let me know.

HOWEVER....with the recent explosion of tablets into the market...HPT would be wise to tap into this market share before EFILive.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Tuner in Training
    I use my surface pro 3 tablet PC for tuning and it is the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased! light weight with large screen and makes it uber simple to make changes with your finger or stylus.