Thread: Problem reading calibration

Tuner in Training

Problem reading calibration

I have a bit of an issue. I swapped out transmissions and needed to write a new calibration to my ECM. No initial problem. Had a local tuner guy help me out and was directed to load the ECM with a stock tune from a different vehicle. Guy used Tec2 (sp?) tool to load the stock factory calibration. Tuner then made changes to calibration via EFILive. Wrote back the calibration, and I now cannot read tune with HPTuners. I believe he inadvertantly made some changes to the calibration that is causing HPTuners to fail during the "Requesting Access" portion (get a security violation). I am currently running v2.23.3840.21199.

I don't think there is an issue with HPTuners, but need to understand a bit more about how exactly the calibrations are read from the ECM. I will be going back to the tuner and hopefully using his EFILive setup to correct whatever the issue is (seed value?).

What I need help with is the kinds of "things" I should be looking for that need to be changed back to stock. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any problems reading stock ECMs with my current setup. Purchased a ECM/harness from junkyard, wired it up and can read it just fine. So I think the issue is with the calibration currently in the ECM of my project. Also, I can log data just fine using VCM Scanner, just can't read the calibration to do edits.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW: Showed the tuner my HPTuners setup and he is now a customer, so I can take credit for at least 1 sale.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If it comes up as invalid auth codes then it means the pcm has been tunerlocked, in our software tunerlocking is as simple as clicking the tunerlocking icon & then using the write tunerlock/vin/vats to write to the pcm, not sure about efilive and how they do it but assume its similar.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Can you briefly explain what happens when you say "tuner locked"? I need to communicate to the tuner and/or EFILive what is happening so I can "undo" what they did. My problem is that I don't know exactly what that entails. My prediciment is that the tuner is not really a computer guy and I am not an EFILive customer. He thinks its a HPTuner problem and is not looking at it as something he did. What I really need to know is what HPTuners is doing on the OBD serial bus that is failing. i.e. looking for a default code somewhere and not finding it? Thanks much for any help, this is really frustrating as its the last thing I need to wrap up in this latest phase.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    seed/key changed from stock

Tuner in Training
    Update on this issue. It looks like EFILive change the VCM serial number after it was flashed with the Tec2. The seed and key have not been changed, but the Serial Number of the VCM does not match what was "stock". Could this be the reason that HPTuners is not reading the tune? And if so, is there a work around? Or, does anyone know of a way to set the VCM serial number? I looked around my tuners EFILive setup but could not find a way to set the serial number. Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
    Update on this issue. It looks like EFILive change the VCM serial number after it was flashed with the Tec2. The seed and key have not been changed, but the Serial Number of the VCM does not match what was "stock". Could this be the reason that HPTuners is not reading the tune?
    No. More than likely they altered the seed/key from stock inadvertently.

Tuner in Training
    I confirmed that the seed is FFFF and not a something they entered. The only thing that is different is the PCM serial number. What I need know is some help on how to get HPTUners to read my calibration so I can make the edits I need, or an RMA number to return the whole system. Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Flash to stock via tech 2 then reread with our software, should work, I've seen this before where the key changed, for the life of me couldn't find the email Chris sent me on what seed/key combos we support for LS1's but theres one that efilive changes it to that we don't support.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What most likely happened is whoever tuned it with eflive set the seed to 0 & the key to FFFF which we do not support, ultimately its like tunerlocking the pcm.

We do Support seed/key of all 0’s or all FFFF or the std gm procedure but We do not support seed of 0 & key of FFFF as its not normal and means the pcm has been previously tuned. A tech 2 flash to stock should be able to fix this issue, then just reread with our software.