Thread: Need Cam recommendations for 6.2.

Need Cam recommendations for 6.2.

So this is going to be a big project and I need to ask everyone out there what would be the best way to go.

This is a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Crab 4X4. Originally it came with an L76. It had an MP1900 Magnacharger with a 2.8" pulley, 42# injectors, and ported heads.

What's on order now is a 6.2 shortblock with Scat 6.125 rods and dished pistons for Supercharger with blower rings. High Volume, High pressure oil pump, and special high performance main and cam bearings. Also the ARP bolts and all necessary gaskets.

The 6.0 block has the tricked L76/L92 heads, with .650 rated springs. I'm taking all the good parts off the 6.0 and installing on to the 6.2. Now...

I need recommendations on the perfect cam for the LS3/427 stroker I will soon have. I want one with a radical lope and something that I can pull roughly 1100 LBS with at 2000 RPM, TCC locked up, and not overheat. And when I stomp on it, pull the front tires off the ground. Also I need something reliable. I'm running roughly 8-9LBS of boost with these heads and at my elevation of 3400 feet. So people, I need your help!

Also I have my own HP tuners so tuning any cam to work is no problem.

Thanks,
    Robbie
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 08-30-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

your towing issues wont come from the engine... its gonna come from the tranny
    you need to have your tranny and torque converter built for towing.

as far as power goes... personally, If I was towing stuff.. I wouldnt want too radical of a cam due to loss of low end torque down low with overlap.
    not to mention the fact that you have a supercharger going on...overlap = bad.
    SC might be trying to make 8lbs of boost, but if you get overlap you will start loosing that boost pretty quickly...it doesnt take much overlap to make the supercharger only be able to get half the rated boost.

if you want reliable, stay with a cam like the 427 corvettes use

you are asking a vehicle to do 2 things that are the opposite of the spectrum.
    you wont get a towing transmission with a high stall converter to do what you want for towing, but it will do what you want for "pulling the front tires"
    and vice versa... you wont get a towing converter to do what you want for racing.

if I had to go with bullet proof, I would go milder cam with very little or no overlap on a wide LSA, with a built 4l80e that has a "towing" converter

very reliable, and it will still be fun as hell on the street/track...
    -Scott -

Thanks soundengineer. I forgot to mention I have a TCI Streetfighter that's 3200 stall, and I have designed a tune that allows you to "manually" lock up the torque converter by using the tow-haul button. Now. The transmission is a 4L 70E with custom clutches and a Corvette servo, so I don't think I'll have any reliability issues with it, although I might need a bigger trans cooler. The nut behind the wheel just needs to understand not to be a "stupid" driver. And from what I understand the Streetfighter is a pretty lean and mean TCC, so I imagine the weak link would be the driveshaft. It's only 1100 Lbs, not 11,000, or else I wouldn't even think about a cam, but you say..... Wide Lobe separation... Short duration? What about lift? And will I be able to get a good idling lope with something that doesn't have very much duration much duration? Or am I just wishing for the impossible?

Thanks,
    -Robbie.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 08-30-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Guys? More help? I'm still searching... Although I am leaning towards a ZR1 cam.... Good? Bad?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

So I decided on a ZR1 cam, going back to stock TCC, and am going to turn up the boost some more.... 13LBS. Studding Heads, and dished pistons. Methanol Injection.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    So this is going to be a big project and I need to ask everyone out there what would be the best way to go.

This is a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Crab 4X4. Originally it came with an L76. It had an MP1900 Magnacharger with a 2.8" pulley, 42# injectors, and ported heads.

What's on order now is a 6.2 shortblock with Scat 6.125 rods and dished pistons for Supercharger with blower rings. High Volume, High pressure oil pump, and special high performance main and cam bearings. Also the ARP bolts and all necessary gaskets.

The 6.0 block has the tricked L76/L92 heads, with .650 rated springs. I'm taking all the good parts off the 6.0 and installing on to the 6.2. Now...

I need recommendations on the perfect cam for the LS3/427 stroker I will soon have. I want one with a radical lope and something that I can pull roughly 1100 LBS with at 2000 RPM, TCC locked up, and not overheat. And when I stomp on it, pull the front tires off the ground. Also I need something reliable. I'm running roughly 8-9LBS of boost with these heads and at my elevation of 3400 feet. So people, I need your help!

Also I have my own HP tuners so tuning any cam to work is no problem.

Thanks,
    Robbie
    http://www.flowtechinduction.com/contact.htm

The best way to go...