Thread: Replacement Laptop

Replacement Laptop

I am a dumb ass with most things & computers especially!

Paid someone to fix this thing once, I know better, anyways it is demonstrating new problems & I will not fix it again.

I like my 17" display so I want to stay with that size, sunlight for logging. On occasion I have dropped it. Blue tooth seems to be important these days & I do like audio quality. Graphics are important as I have Mustang dyno software loaded so I can review test runs.

My price range is 1000 to 1500 & would go higher if need be, I use it a lot.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Consumer Reports rates one of the Macs very high, I'm not sure on compatibility with HPT, XP & Windows 7.
    Last edited by ctd; 09-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.

I have a Lenovo T61. I bought it for it durability. There is a magnesium cover over the hard drive and an accelerometer that senses if the laptop is drop so it can stop writing to the hard drive to protect the data. Like if it falls off the seat during a quick stop tuning.

Satin screen so there is no glare while outside tuning.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

I just came back from a log session.....on the brakes from 124m....everything crashed into the dash....then to the floor!

Tx's for the tip, I really do need a 17", those are very spendy when you go to that screen size!

Unfortunately I dont have an answer for a "budget" laptop as I went for an expensive one that is "Rugged"
    Dell E6400 ATG
    I bought it for dual purpose reasons...
    Daylight Viewable Touch Screen - I can see it with bright sunlight shining directly on it..screen looks like as if you were seeing your screen inside the house...only without having to be inside...
    its so bright that it can be blinding in a dark room unless you turn down the backlight..LOL

and Long Battery Life - with the normal battery I get 6 hours out of it...real use...serious work(nothing like video card intesnive gaming... thats still good, but more like 2~3 hours)
    and I bought an extended battery that mounts to teh bottom and connects thru the extension port..and makes it so I get an easy 14 hours of battery life...I've gotten 18 hours with the screen dim and all the extra stuff turned off....

I use it for my day job, and it doubles as my rugged durable tuning laptop as well..

when I tune my own car, I strap it into the seat belt..LOL
    -Scott -

Tuner
    I personally like to have a separate one for tuning. I use so much different software, it really helps to have an older one with a serial port. Used Toughbooks are pretty cheap if only used for tuning. I just get a new battery and can usually get 4-7 hours out of the laptop with less than $400 invested (with a 15-16" screen though). That way I can keep my nice high laptops safe at home.

I have a few Thinkpads. They are tanks.

But for what you are looking at I believe there is an Acer Laptop that fits your bill exactly. My buddy got one for 1100 from best buy. He uses it for gaming and was impressed.
    86 Mazda RX-7 LS1, T56, 100 shot, Daily Driver

Good tips.

It is another one of those things, the more you educate yourself the deeper you dig.

What I am figuring out is the very important list to the not so important!

To the last poster I currently have an acer, I was pretty happy until the flying waldo's...or on occasion the drop!