Thread: Different PCM

Tuner

Different PCM

I have a spare 00' Impala PCM. My car is a 00' GTP. Can I install the impala pcm and write my vin into it so I can tune it?
    I remember sending another impala pcm into intense and they made it work for my car. But now I have HPT and want to do the same for my car. You see, I have several pcm's from rebuilders and want to try some different tunes for my car and also see if there may be an issue with my original pcm.
    I only bought the cable for a 00' & 01' GTP.
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Tuner

Re: Different PCM

Can no one answer this for me????
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Tuner in Training

I would think, since it's a rebuilt VCM, then the ROM image is probably completely gone, and you could possibly do a ReWrite Entire VCM. I'm not an expert though.

Senior Tuner

Which package do you have? If you have the standard package that is issued to most DYI'ers then you cannot flash that VCM. If you have support for the Impala and the GTP, you should be able to rewrite it. Without the proper support, you cannot do anything with it. I just had a situation. A friend had a blank VCM, but since I do not have the Tuner package, I could not flash it, only collect the the VIN and operating codes. He accidentily had it flashed as a 2004 Y-body, and I needed to flash a 2001 F-body BIN onto it. Since I do not have the tuner package nor do I have support for Y-bodys, I was unable to rewrite the VCM. My friend had to get the VCM flashed to a 2001 F-body so I could alter it. This was on a 1974 Camaro with an LS6.